Readers are Called Single in a Thousand Different Ways

Thanks to starry_arthi for this title.

Neville's POV

We hadn't had a D.A. meeting in a while. Ginny had been absent, and it was a very bad idea to have me try to plan something.

I shuddered at the memory of the first and only meeting I'd run by myself. It had gone from a rocky start, when I'd stuttered and stammered my way through the supposedly inspiring speech, to downright terrible as I paced like I'd just had five espressos while we brainstormed.

Suffice it to say, we didn't get much done. Hannah tried to be nice, and tell me I did well, but I could see the lie on her face.

But the next day, Ginny's handwriting appeared on my galleon, and a meeting was scheduled in five minutes. I sighed in relief, even as I began dashing to the other side of the castle to make it to the room in time.

I needed Ginny's help. Dumbledore's Army was not meant to be lead by just one person. Even Harry had Ron and Hermione.

Mostly Hermione

***

As the meeting was scheduled on such short notice, people trickled in late.  Lavender, Padma, Parvati, Michael, and Seamus were missing when Hannah got here. She grinned at me.

I felt myself smile back as my heart sped up.

"Hey."

"Hi."

She leaned in. When our lips met, the world spiraled into oblivion. Her hair smelled like honey, and it overwhelmed my senses. Every nerve seemed hypersensitive, and it burned where her skin brushed mine. When she broke away, I was buzzing.

"Hey." I repeated, stupidly.

"Are we going to start?" Ginny asked, a note of impatience to her voice.

"Yeah, we're still missing Padma, Lavender and Michael." After a few seconds of waiting, Lavender and Parvati walked in.

Ten minutes later, Ginny decided to just start the meeting without the missing members.

"If they aren't here by the end, we start to get worried, agreed?"

After everyone nodded, she jumped right in.

"Ok, so I was thinking we do something simple. Maybe graffiti or a repeat of something else. I Just so the Carrows know we're still active.

Also, when are we going to interview Jason Moon, it's been like two months! We should also focus a little heavier on recruiting, I'm sure there are plenty of people tired of the Carrows.

Also..."

I'd completely zoned out. Ginny wasn't boring, or anything like that, it's just the way Hannah was nodding along. Her golden hair rippled, in a way that made my heart leap. She seemed to be in a deep thought and was biting her lower lip. I don't think I've seen anything more adorable before in my life.

My name jolted me out of my daze.

"... Neville, do you agree?"

"What, um yes. Totally."

"Great, and so who wants to be in charge of recruitment? I know Hannah's been doing it, but we should still vote just to make it official. All in favor."

Everyone raised their hand.

"Michael and Padma aren't here, so technically do the forfeit their vote, or..."

"They lose their vote, if they can't be bothered to show up. But we should probably start to get worried. If they aren't here in maybe five minutes, we should start looking for them."

Five minutes came and went, and neither Michael nor Padma showed. Parvati started pacing. Ginny turned to us, and her eyes were dark.

"Ok, so who saw either Michael or Padma last? It's probably safe to assume the Carrows got both of them, or-."

The door burst open, and Padma and Michael darted inside.

"We're, um, very sorry. We didn't feel the coin." Padma looked sheepish. When the DA continued to stare questioningly, Michael smirked.

"I'd tell you this isn't what it looks like, but it's exactly what it looks like."

Ginny snorted then tried to cover it up with a sneeze. Parvati looked at her sister with mock betrayal and incredulity written on her face.

"What is this? I, your dear sister whom you love and adore, had to find out this very important secret with the rest of these peasants?"

"Umm, we're right here." Anthony started. Parvati disregarded him.

"What is the point of having this twin bond, if you don't spill the tea?"

"Can we talk about this later?" Padma asked. Ginny, Parvati and I responded at the same time.

"Yes please." I begged.

"No we bloody well can't!" Parvati exclaimed, while Ginny commented.

"Please don't, I'm thoroughly enjoying this." I gave her a pleading look, and she conceded. "Fine. So, any more plans?"

After the meeting, Hannah stayed back, and gave me the impression I should do the same.

"Neville, I had an idea. Tonight, meet me back here."

"Mysterious."

"But of course." She smiled, and pulled me down into a kiss.

***

That night, I snuck back up to the Room of Requirement. It had turned itself into a mostly dark room with a round tent in the middle. I opened the flap, and Hannah was waiting.

Her wand was in some kind of holder facing upwards on the floor. A tin cup with a lot of holes it in stood perfectly balanced on top.

"Hey." I kissed her softly, then looked at the contraption curiously. She smiled, spun the cup, and softly said,

"Lumos."

My eyes widened as sparks of light spun around the tent walls. She giggled. She leaned her head on my shoulder, and I rested my head on top of hers.

My hand brushed her fingers, and squeezed. Together, we sat in silence; watching the lights dance.