Break Up

Luna's POV

Before I opened my eyes, I felt him next to me. His slow exhale ruffled the hair on the back of my neck. We were almost touching. The places where he was closest to me prickled with goosebumps.

My hand instinctively reached for the necklace, but grasped at air. My heart plummeted, but it was impossible to remain sad when he was so close.

I nestled back into him, and sighed. He stirred, and I froze. My heart was jumping like a trapped Moon Frog, but it slowly evened out as I remembered he was my boyfriend and would simply wrap his arm around me and say he loved me.

My breathing matched his, and I drifted back to sleep with a smile on my lips.

Neville's POV

I needed to break up with Sally-Anne. It was the only way.

But it wasn't easy. She really was a nice person, and I hoped we could still be friends... but that never happens.

We were meeting at the edge of the Forbidden Forest, just in case she got an inversion to the place. And I had tissues in one pocket, and my wand in another. Those were the two responses she might have.

I was probably overthinking this.

The freezing wind turned my ears to ice, as I trudged through snow. I should have just told her in an empty classroom or something.

Sally-Anne was leaning against a tree and shivering. She looked up when she saw me approaching.

"Before you say whatever it is you called me all the way out here in the dead of winter to say, I need to tell you something."

"Ok." I was confused. Her next words came in a rush that was difficult to understand because of her American Accent.

"We need to break up. I know you don't like me, at least not in that way. Whenever Hannah comes into a room, you light up. But I don't like you either. I figured it out midway through our first date. But he's dating someone else, so I didn't say anything. There's actually a bit of poetic irony there, but that's beside the point.

What did you want to tell me?"

"Umm, pretty much just that."

"Really?"

"Yeah. Look, I brought tissues just in case." I tried to take them out of my pocket, but my frozen hands fumbled, and the packet fell to the snow. She helped me pick it up.

"Maybe we should go inside? My eyeballs are cold."

"Sure. I don't mean to be nosy, but who is he? The guy you like?"

"Oh, that's the poetic irony bit. Ernie Macmillan."

"Really? Well, as the Death Eaters say, it's a small world." She looked confused. "Never mind. Really long story."

Inside the castle, the warmth seemed to cascade over us in waves. Sally-Anne sighed in relief.

"Why did you want to meet all the way out there anyway?"

"Umm, I was trying not to break up with you in an important place. Like the Black Lake. Then it wouldn't be romantic anymore if you went there with someone else."

"You're just too sweet." She hugged me, but it was awkward and we let go quickly. "Too soon?" She asked.

"Too soon." We walked in opposite directions. I was so glad that was over.

Ginny's POV

We still hadn't found Rolf, and I was worrying.

What if the Death Eaters had heard Newt on the radio? The Scamanders had easily enough money to pay, but what if it wasn't a kidnapping?

We didn't even know if he was alive. I couldn't let myself think that way.

Positivity

He might be with Luna. He'd like that. If they're just locked in a room somewhere, they might be better off then we are.

Positivity

After we win, we'll find them, and they'll probably be fine.

Positivity

It could just be a kidnapping, and he'll be released any day now. He'd get his parents to release Luna as well. She'd be back at school, where she'd be assaulted and tortured with the rest of us.

Wow, I'm terrible at this positivity thing.

Luna's POV

I woke up feeling Rolf's chest against my back. His legs were intertwined with mine, and I wanted this moment to last forever.

But I could tell he was about to wake up.

He stirred, and though I couldn't see him, I sensed he was now awake.

But he didn't pull away. He softly kissed the back of my head, I whispered

"I love you, Rolf."

"I thought it was a dream. I'm glad it wasn't."

"You're glad you were abducted by psychopathic murderers?"

"I got to see you."

"You're so cheesy."

"Don't you mean adorable?"

"Yes, I mean adorable." I turned around and lightly kissed him.

Footsteps pounded above us, and the door was opened once again. Scabior entered and bellowed,

"You, Scamander! Come here."

"What do you want with him?" I stepped in front of him protectively.

"That none 'o your business. Init girlie?" He struck me, and with a cry I fell to my hands and knees. I brought a hand up to my throbbing face, and winced. The metallic taste of blood filled my mouth.

"Stop! I'm going with you. Just don't hurt her!" The Snatcher didn't glance up, but he kicked me in the gut.

The sharp pain spiked through my side, and my arms gave out. All the air had vanished from my lungs, and I was struggling to draw breath.

"You know, I didn't get payed, because we were late bringing you. Because you resisted."

He kicked me a second time and I curled into a ball to protect my face. But no more blows followed.

When I mustered the courage to peer up, Rolf was gone.