Eavesdropping

Ginny's POV

I went to go find Jason.

It took longer then expected, and the for the entire walk,the hand that wasn't holding his galleon was white knuckled on the flimsy piece of wood that was my only weapon.

Eventually, I found him pouring over books in the library. He blinked when he saw me. It wasn't in surprise or confusion, but there was an emotion I couldn't quite read below the surface.

"Am I back in?" He asked curiously. There was no, how are you, or I'm sorry that happened to you, or anything acknowledging how I might be feeling after what he'd witnessed only hours ago.

I pushed the thought away. He saved you, try being a little more grateful.

"Yeah, here." I handed him the coin. He pocketed it. I turned to walk out, but then turned back. A question had been nagging at the back of my subconscious.

"Why were you in that hallway? It's pretty far removed from the main part of the castle..."

"I was... out on a walk. Just like you." I'd been on more of a pointless wander, but sure.

"Must've been a pretty long walk. All the way on the other side of the castle." I mussed.

"What can I say, I like exercise."

"Didn't you say you hated physical activities?" I tried to keep my tone neutral, but suspicions tugged at the back of my thoughts.

"Can't a guy change his mind?"

"Yes, but-."

"Aren't you just glad I was there at all?" He snapped. For a moment, his expression wasn't scared or sad, or any of the things I was used to seeing. His eyes were narrowed and they became hard and cold.

But it was fleeting; gone so quick, I must've imagined it.

What was the alternative? Jason was secretly evil, and was going to betray us all?

Preposterous. I chuckled to myself at the idea. If there was anyone less likely to be a traitor, I'd be shocked.

Neville's POV

I was just about to leave the Room of Requirement, when I felt someone tap me on the shoulder.

"Hey Stranger." I felt myself smiling as I turned around.

"Hey."

She pulled me down into a kiss that made sparks pop in my vision and sent a tingling buzz though my body.

I held her hand, and together we walked into the hallway.

We'd only made it three corridors, when the Hannah stopped. It was a moment before I heard it too.

Someone up ahead was sobbing.

Her grip on my hand tightened, and she practically dragged me into a jog. Soon I could hear a voice too.

"Hey, it's ok. It's ok, bunny. Shh. It's ok."

Hannah abruptly stopped short, dragging me to a halt. She put a finger to her lips; shushing me.

"Since when are you nosy?" I whispered. In response she put her finger to my lips, and muttered in my ear.

"It's called curiosity." She went back to listening to the scene unfolding before us.

"N-no, it's not. It's not o-ok. He'll m-mess up e-everything. He'll make a-another mistake, and someone'll get caught, and M-Michael?"

"Yeah?"

"I'm scared. I-I don't w-want to be tortured."

"I don't think anyone does, bunny." There was a pause. "Everyone's scared. Deep down, we're all petrified. You're just the only one courageous enough to admit it."

Padma gave a dry laugh.

"Not P-Parvati. She's b-braver than I'll ever be. She st-stood up for N-Neville. C-compared to her, I'm a u-useless coward."

"That's not true. Remember when you killed that spider? True courage, right there. And really, what's the difference between one eight legged insect and two four legged teachers? They've got the same IQ." Padma laughed, the sound was forced but after a few seconds it came naturally. 

"You can always make me laugh."

"I try."

"I love you, Michael."

"What-."

Suddenly, I felt like an intruder. I grabbed Hannah's arm, and started pulling her back.

"Never mind, forget I said anything."

"I love you too, Padma."

Hannah seemed to come back to herself and realize this was not something we should be spying on. The couple had stopped talking, making me think they were doing something else with their mouths.

Then, we were out of earshot and running down the hallway.

"I never thought of you as the nosy!" I exclaimed, louder this time.

"It's curiosity." She repeated pompously, then giggled loudly. "Don't worry. I'm not going to gossip about them or anything like that. If I tell anyone, which I probably won't, it'll be Susan. And she's too shy to tell it to anyone else."

"Ok. I just don't want it around the whole school."

"Ok, I won't even tell it to Susan then, happy?"

"Very."

And she pulled me into another kiss.