Hannah's Back and Everything's Fine... Right?

Sorry this took so long, it's finals week. But, on the bright side I didn't fail a single one.

Neville's POV

Hannah was back.

Madam Pomfrey had sent me an owl, and I couldn't get there fast enough.

The nurse hurried around Sally-Anne who appeared far more injured then Hannah.

I winced, taking in both of their injuries Both of them were unconscious, and with how much red was staining the once-white sheets, I didn't want to imagine how much pain they'd be in if they weren't. I pulled a chair close to Hannah, intending to stay out of the matron's way.

"What are you doing? If you're going to be here, at least make yourself useful." Her tone was harsh, but I could tell she was stressed rather than annoyed.

She thrust a roll of bandages in my direction. I was so surprised I nearly dropped them. I looked at them in confusion but she didn't spare me a second glance.

I pointed my wand at her arm and muttered,

"Episkey." The spell was wimpy, and far under-qualified to repair this level of damage. Needless to say, it didn't do all that much. I tried again with the same result.

Maybe if I did that a thousand more times I could heal a paper cut.

It was like my first years of Hogwarts all over again. No matter how much I focused or how hard I tried my spells just got weaker and weaker. And the fear kept getting bigger and bigger.

I tried it until I was exhausted. There was improvement, but not much. And she was losing more and more blood by the second.

I couldn't keep doing this, I was only tiring myself out and it wasn't doing much but it was the only healing spell I knew besides Ferula the bandaging charm but if I used that before someone healed her properly she'd just bleed through the bandages and they'd have to take them off again to heal it and by that time she would have lost a lot of blood and that couldn't be good and whatifshediedanditwouldbemyfault.

Luckily, the rest of Dumbledore's Army had received the same letter that I did, and Lavender walked in.

Unlike me, she knew what to do, and I gratefully sat in the corner.

I watched with bated breath as more people trickled in. Anthony went to help while Susan sat down next to me. Jason showed up almost immediately after, but he didn't stay long. The rest of the DA slowly filled the room with Michael and Padma arriving last.

I sat there stressing as all the worst case scenarios played through my head.

Until Susan held my hand, I didn't notice my fingers had been trembling. She wasn't much better.

"She'll be alright." She promised, but watching the white sheets slowly turn red, a flicker of doubt crossed my mind.

What am I supposed to do if she's not?

***

It was a long and impatient wait. I've decided I'm going to kill the Carrows.

At one point Madam Pomfrey had unceremoniously evicted all the boys when she treated the cuts that would've been impossible to treat with their shirts on.

So that left me to fret out in the hall while for all I knew she could be... no. She's in stable condition. She's going to be fine. In all honesty it was Sally-Anne we should worry about.

But she's not the one you're in love with, is she? A voice in the back of my mind muttered.

I told it to shut up.

They're both going to be fine.

I heard familiar voices coming down the hallway and I bristled. How dare they show their miserable faces. They did this. This is their fault. Hate boiled as the Carrows rounded the Corner.

Most people glowered and stayed off to the sides. I stepped forward to say something, but Michael walked right up to them and hissed,

"Why? Why are you doing this? We're teenagers. We've done nothing to you. You might've killed them, and for what? Why do you feel the need to do this to us? You're despicable."

They looked like they were going to ignore him, but suddenly Alecto replied in an overly sweet voice.

"Because half-breeds and blood traitors need to learn their place. And it's such fun." She pushed past him, but turned back. "And you're lucky it is, because if I weren't in a good mood, you'd get the next detention. Then we'll see how long your impudent attitude holds.

His face hardened and he still looked like he was going to say something else. Or slap her. Luckily/Unfortunately the door opened and we were admitted back inside, so he didn't get the chance. Alecto gave him a little finger wave before the door closed.

I kind of wished I'd been the one to say all that. To stand up to them for her. I was her boyfriend. But I wouldn't have, I couldn't have. I'd have fumbled over my words and made a mess of it. I'd have probably gotten myself a detention too in the process.

So instead, I sat next to her until she woke up.

Hannah's POV

I felt myself waking up, but I fought against it. Sleep was so peaceful and safe, without the tortures of waking.

I'd managed to fight conscious before, but now was different. This time I couldn't.

The first thing I noticed was that I was warm. I was surrounded by something soft and clean. And all my injuries had faded to a dull throb. This encouraged me enough to open my eyes.

I was in the hospital wing. I turned my head and saw a blurry face.

Jason?

No... it's Neville.

My heart sank.

Wait, no. It's good Neville's here. Jason has no reason to be here. It's obviously Neville. I don't even want it to be Jason. Neville's my boyfriend, Neville should be here. Neville has every reason to be here. Jason shouldn't, apart from as a worried friend. I'm definitely super glad Neville's here. It would actually be a disappointment if he wasn't here.

"Hi." His face broke into a smile and I felt warm inside with the familiar butterflies.

"Hi."

We talked for awhile, and I even laughed once. My broken rib instantly made me regret it, but it was nice.

I smiled.

This is how it's supposed to be. With Neville, not Jason.