Break In at the Ministry

Ginny's POV

I stared at the paper.

No way.

I picked up my quill, and thought of everyone in the class. They all the Gryffindors were either best friends or distant acquaintances, but I knew each student by name. How could I vote for someone to get a detention.

There were some Ravenclaws who I probably didn't know, but...No. I couldn't. But, I had to.

I set the tip of my pen carefully on the parchment. It formed a small dot of ink.

Scattered thoughts flew through my uncomprehending mind.

Detentions with the Carows seemed like a horrific thought. Amicus had tried to perform the cruciatis curse in me last year, just for being in the way. I had no idea what it'd be like, to be at his mercy for hours. His sister might be worse. And the way he looked at me... I didn't want to be alone with him. But, I didn't want anyone else to be alone with him either.

All these thoughts and more flicked though my mind at lightning speed; racing each other to an avoidable conclusion.
I can't do this.

I didn't realize I was shaking, but when I looked down at my paper. The dot has
become a small scribble.

I removed my quill, and, with calm deliberation, set it aside.

"Done!" Professor Carow shouted "Now, accio votes. Let's see who gets detention.

Interesting, interesting.
Ms. Lovegood, by one vote you will come to my office this weekend. In fact, that vote happens to be yours.
And, Ms. Weasley, tut tut, I told you to Vote. You'll see me too. I hope you learn obedience.

His monologue changed direction so quickly, I'm surprised it didn't hurt his neck.

Now, there are multiple ways to cast the Imperius curse, but the most beneficial way is to say the incarnation aloud, although non-verbal versions remain. However, these are far easier to resist, then their spoken counterparts.

***

The class was exceedingly dull, and quite unremarkable, except for the Professor's obvious inclination towards the dark arts.

When the class ended, we ran out as fast as humanly possible. One student actually leaped over a desk. Outside, everyone calmed down.

Luna and I made way to the Great Hall for lunch. Luna suddenly stopped, and looked out the window.

"Ohh. Oh my." A dark, black fog was rolling in, and it had an unnaturally uniform look. "An Umgubular Slashkilter."

I had no idea what an Umgubular Slashkilter was, I knew what was causing the fog.

Dementors.

We'd seen some on the train, but that fog was too dense to have come from six or seven.

Neville was waiting for us, surprisingly, with a smile on his face.

"Why are you so happy? You've seen the fog? Snape is doing his best to snuff out all joy and happiness.

In response, Neville showed us the a copy of The Evening Prophet.

___________________________
Break In at the Ministry

Harry James Potter is the Prime suspect in an irrational and unprovoked attack on justice. This morning, he and two accomplices broke into the Ministry, assaulted Dolores Umbridge, a perky witch working tirelessly to eradicate the magical thieves in our midst, and released several said thieves from Ministry custody. In a statement made by a traumatized Umbridge, the witch stated, "He attacked me. I couldn't see him, but, suddenly I was stunned. He deserves to go to Askaban, and rot. Remember my sacrifices!" He and his accomplices also assaulted and impersonated, Mafalda Hopkirk, Reginald Cattermole, and Albert Runcorn.