The Galleon pt. 2

Luna's POV

I continued to stare blankly at the coin.

No. No no no no no. He hasn't... he wouldn't... he can't... this isn't how this is supposed to go.

You're just the crazy girl he said he loved. He probably saw the coin and laughed and your childishness. Clingy, oblivious, naive. Obtrusive in his new relationship.

Unwanted.

Heat built behind my eyes. A tear rolled down my cheek. I brushed it away, but two more replaced it just as quickly. They ran in rivulets down my face and dripped off my chin and spatted on the table.

I squeezed my eyes shut. The eyes he'd once said were the same beautiful turquoise as an Occamy.

I slammed my fist into the wall. A picture frame rattled.

Like the picture I'd drawn of us. The one I'd broken.

I wished I still had the pendant. I wanted to break something else. Something to do with him. Something that had once been meaningful to the both of us.

Something like his new girlfriend's nose.

But she had every right to date him. She was probably beautiful and smart and sane and... and worthy of him: all the things I'm not.

All the things I never will be.

When you think about it, I should've expected this, predicted it even.

He was happier now than I ever could've made him.

Of course we were too good to last.

And of course that didn't stem the flow of tears.

Ginny's POV

I didn't want to go to sleep.

I didn't want another terror to haunt me.

I didn't want to wake the house with my screams.

I didn't want any of this.

I just wanted to be ok again.

Last night when I'd woken up, I'd been convinced it was real. That he'd caught me.

My heart started to pound.

I was shaking. Gasping. He was coming. Soon. Any minute. The door would shatter. He'd be there.

Smirking. Leering. Taunting. Calling me his. I wasn't. I wasn't his. I couldn't be.

No escape. He was coming. Everything was frozen. Everything was numb. Everything was broken. Something stabbed my chest. He was going to find me. I couldn't run. I couldn't hide. I couldn't breathe. He was coming. No one could help.

But he hadn't come. And slowly, slowly I'd regained control.

But that'd been the last straw. If I couldn't sleep without nightmares, then I simply wouldn't sleep. And if I couldn't think about what he'd done without the panic attacks, then I wouldn't think about it.

It was all quite easy, if you thought about it.

Luna's POV

I brushed away the tears. Who does he think he is to use me like this? And how stupid am I for believing his false promises and lies. All the sadness dimmed and I felt anger rising. Well, at least I could talk to the people who actually care about me.

Neville's POV

My pocket grew hot, and I pulled out the metallic disc.

It took a moment to recognize the careful script, but when I did, I nearly dropped the coin in shock.

Hi, Neville.

I just want you to know I'm safe. It's a really long story, but I'm staying at Ron's brother, Bill's house. Harry, Ron, Hermione, and Dean are here too. Make sure to tell Seamus that he's safe. We're all safe.

I miss you, stay safe, don't do anything stupid.

Send back news. How is everyone. Have you finally realized you belong with Hannah?

Luna

P.S. Tell Rolf I wish him well in his future.

I felt myself relax; stress I never knew I was carrying flowing away.

She's all right. She's all right.

I started to write back.

Luna's POV

After Neville had filled me in, I felt quite a bit better. Not all better, or even close, but an improvement nonetheless.

I was certain he'd left out parts of how bad it was getting there, but fretting aimlessly wouldn't help anyone, and I certainly would if he were honest.

And it was good to here he'd gotten together with Hannah. He deserved to be happy.

Is Rolf's new girlfriend in Dumbledore's Army? She's certainly braver then me, certainly-

What am I doing? I should be downstairs, talking with someone, being at least a little social, and doing my best to forget about him.

Tentatively, I crept over to the door, and slowly turned the handle. It squeaked slightly, and the door let out a long groan as I opened it.

Harry, Ron, and Hermione were talking in the adjacent room. Ron and Hermione were holding hands while Harry failed to notice.

I continued down the hall. Dean was scribbling hastily on his coin. Looks like Seamus had answered.

I didn't stop walking, only vaguely noticing that my jaw was clenched. Going back to my room was growing more and more appealing. I was beginning to feel like the only single person in the house.

If I found Bill and Fleur in a romantic moment...

I rounded the bend in the stairwell, and could see into the kitchen and out the opposite window.

They were sitting on the stone wall that surrounded the house; legs dangling off the edge. Fleur leaned on Bill's shoulder as they watched the waves crash at the base of the cliffs. His arm was around her shoulder, and as I watched, the other reached down and plucked a flower growing at the base of the wall. He presented it to her, and she looked momentarily surprised before bringing him into a kiss.

I watched almost in slow motion, as Bill leaned slightly too far forward, and they both tumbled towards me; falling off the wall. It was only three and a half feet high, and they got up laughing.

He tucked a loose strand of hair behind her ear, and even after it was secured, he kept his hand cupped against her cheek. Their gazes locked, and she brought her hand up to his. She leaned against him, and their foreheads touched.

Why do they have to be so frickin cute?

Literally everyone here has someone.

My heart felt raw and aching as I trudged back upstairs.