Purple Fire

Ginny's POV

I watched in almost slow motion as Dolohov's wand slashed though the air. The purple fire streaked towards her. It hit her in the chest, and she slumped to the floor.

She didn't even have time to scream.

"No!" Lee raced to her side, narrowly dodging a curse himself. I wanted to yell, to scream and to cry. But I couldn't. The battle wasn't over yet, and I was coming closer and closer to falling as well.

"Stop!" The unnamed one hissed. "Or you get it too." Lee was shaking his mother, trying to get her to respond. But she was limp.

"What did you do to her?" Mr. Jordan raged. Dolohov smiled.

"Oh, she's not dead, yet. I've always found the Killing Curse too, what's the word... painless. So I invented my own. Basically, her internal organs are melting.

If she wasn't unconscious, she'd be making such beautiful screams. Probably some begging too. I've always loved begging. But I'm sure she can still feel it. She probably wishes she were dead right now."

I glanced at her again. Out of the corner of my eye, I might have seen an eyelid flutter, but when I looked again it was still.

"Put your hands in the air and drop your wands, and I promise I won't hurt you." The other one hissed.

"You're an idiot if you think we'll do that." Lee spat. The Death Eater tilted his head, amused.

"Fine, do it or... or I torture the little one." He pointed his wand at me. I felt myself tense, but there was nowhere to go. He glanced quickly at Dolohov who nodded. I got the impression that this was an initiation of sorts.

Fred pushed me behind him.

"Over my dead body!" He brandished his wand, trying to look threatening.

"I'm flexible."

And the duel began. George joined his twin, as did Mr. Jordan. Lee was too distracted with his Mum, and I was shaking so hard I couldn't cast a spell to save my life.

Which applies far too well to this situation.

One of Fred's curses hit Dolohov, and the other Death Eater took several paces back.

And suddenly there was calm. Mr. Jordan raced to his wife's side, and checked at her neck for a pulse.

He let out a choked sob of relief, and I felt my own chest flutter hopefully.

"She's alive, barely. I'm taking her to St. Mungo's. Somebody stun him." He motioned to the Death Eater. His voice was terrified. The whole family vanished in a crack.

Three gingers turned to face him, and he made a pathetic squeak in the back of his throat. It felt good to make him as scared as he made me.

"Voldemort!" He gasped.

"Stupefy, Obliviate!" George yelled, but it was too late. More brooms were appearing on the horizon, and Fred grabbed my hand and we turned into darkness. When it cleared, my leg was on fire, and my jeans were stained red.

Splinched. It was a good thing they apparated to St. Mungo's.

"Damn, I'm so sorry, Young Sister."

"Not your fault, don't call me that." I groaned. This hurt less then what the Carrows could inflict, but it was close.

"Mum's going to kill us." He muttered.

"Correction, Mum's going to kill you. I'm simply the innocent child, not responsible for the actions of my role models."

George snorted. "Since when are you 'innocent?' I thought you were almost as evil as us."

"I take that offensively. I'm far more evil than both of you."

We were escorted up to the fourth floor, for spell damage. When a healer rolled up my jean leg, I gasped.

A scoop of muscle and flesh was missing from my calf. Seeing it made my head swim, and suddenly it hurt so much more.

Somebody handed me a bottle and I drank it. The liquid was sickly sweet, but the pain faded.

There was only one healer helping me. The rest had probably gone to help Lee's mum or do something more important than a splinched leg.

"Thanks." I smiled at him.

"Don't thank me, yet. You act like I get paid more if you live." He had a scowl etched into his face.

"Ok then, grumpy. I was just being friendly." He harrumphed.

After a few awkward minutes where I tried to make very forced conversation, Mum and Dad rushed in, looking murderous.

"George Fabian and Fred Gideon Weasley, come here right now!" Mum looked over at me.

"Hello, Ginny, dear. I'm so glad you're alright."

***

In a few hours, my leg was as good as new. With a feeling of dread, I walked over to Lee's Mum's room.

Healers rushed around her, and did medical things I didn't understand. Lee and his father waited off to the side.

This is my fault. If I'd defeated Dolohov, this never would have happened. She'd be fine and they'd be on they're way to some remote location. I didn't even want to think about how dangerous this was for them.

I grabbed the arm of one of the healers, and spun her around. Unlike the man who treated my leg, she had kind eyes. She answered my unasked question.

"She'll be alright."