The Ball

Neville's POV

As I got ready, a shiver of nerves passed through me. Hannah had been selected to spike the Firewhiskey. Ginny was doing the punch, and Rolf he had the Butterbeer.

But, what was there to be worried about? We planned this well! Apart from the fact that Hannah was disobeying Snape in a room crowded full of, bloodthirsty, ruthless, Death Eaters who were all important and therefore merciless...yeah, I should be worried.

She was my friend after all.

Any good friend would want to hunt down and destroy each and every person who might hurt her.

We're just friends. And that's all I'll ever feel for her.

When I descended into the Gryffindor Common Room, the whole DA was there, including the Hufflepuffs and Ravenclaws.

"Ok." Ginny started. "Does everyone know their parts?"

Even though everyone said yes, she continued.

"Hannah, Rolf, and I are dropping the packages in the punch, butterbeer, and firewhiskey. Luna and Michael are changing the Death Eater masks into cute innocent smiles. Terry and Susan will be sabotaging the music. Seamus and Lavender, will drop dungbombs in the Carrows classrooms. Padma and Parvati will be graffitiing another hallway.

Does everyone understand?"

There was a murmur of assent.

"Good. Just remember, your safety is more important than the task you should always-"

"Can we just go to the party already?" Michael complained.

"Fine." Ginny relented. "Be safe."

The Great Hall had been transformed. Black tables lined the walls, and the center had been cleared. A chandelier hung from the ceiling, and a Dark Mark floated above it.

The most sinister of all, were the guests. All the gowns and dress robes found some fashionable way to expose their left arm. Dark Marks blinked at me, and I tried to figure out who was here. I glimpsed Alecto talking with Dolohov, Rowle, Yaxley, and her.

Bellatrix Lestrange was dancing with her husband. She looked almost, sane. Loathing chocked me, and I tried to ignore her.

It became much harder, however when her eyes alighted on me. She immediately left Rodolphus, and strode over to me.

The crazy was on full display now.

I considered running, but that would just seem weak. Besides, she'd catch me anyways.

"Hewoo withle itty baby Longbottom."

I tried to pretend I couldn't hear. My blood was roaring.

Alecto might have tortured my parents, but she drove them insane. I hated this woman with every fiber of my being.

She cackled.

"Enjwoying the party so faw. Or are you scared of all the big, bad Death Eaters! Gonna wun back to mummy and cwy? Oh, wait. Witle baby Longbottom has no pawents."

I mumbled something incoherent. Anger and grief were thundering down on me in torrents. All I could think about was trying not to jinx her or curl up and cry.

"What was that?"

"Go away." I managed to spit out.

"Awwww is witle baby Longbottom sensitive? That's odd, because fwom what I heaw, you're all set to go the same way as mummy and daddy."