ARC 16 : THIS LIFE~THE BEGINNING

Chapter 269: This Life—The Beginning (X)

TL: Rosy

“Going abroad?” Wei Xun said coldly, looking at the person on the video call. “If he went abroad, why are you still here?

“Sorry, Master Xun. Mr. Shang secretly booked two plane tickets and got onto another plane while I wasn’t paying attention.”

“Where did he go?”

“F country”

Wei Xun joined the Board of Commerce and booked a plane ticket to F country the same night. Yet, he didn’t find Shang Ke at all in the hotel he investigated. The clues stopped here, and until he returned home, there was not the least bit of information.

At first, Wei Xun was absolutely convinced that Shang Ke wouldn’t abandon his own research results and quit. However, when he realized that Qi Chen also went missing around the same time, doubt arose in his heart. Even though he didn’t restrict Shang Ke’s freedom, it’s still impossible for him to disappear based on his capabilities. Only Qi Chen has the ability and sufficient reasons to send him away.

“Evan, no matter what means you use, help me find him as soon as possible!”

Here, Wei Xun was following false clues to search for Shang Ke in several developed countries. However, he didn’t know that Shang Ke was thrown into an unknown remote village on the other side of the ocean by his own family.

There was no formal public security here, hiding many illegal dens, with a mix of crooks and honest folks. The signal was extremely poor and there was only one dilapidated bus that enters and leaves the village every day.

Shang Ke rolled a few times in the garbage heap, making himself look like a wandering drifter. He spent a day walking the streets and alleys, exploring the terrain and environment to remember them, and in the meantime, “borrowed” some money from a few thieves.

After two days of adapting, Shang Ke stocked up on some living supplies and got on a bus to G city. Before leaving, he used a pocket knife to carve a robot pattern on the alley wall where he woke up. He then added an arrow pointing to G city.

【When I came, I had nothing, and when I left, I was free— 7/2/2020】

Shang Ke wasn’t in a hurry to contact his relatives and friends at all, nor did he plan to return home immediately. The Wei family members were ruthless, and returning now would only give himself more trouble.

G city was some third line city of the lower ranked counties in T country. The population was merely 300,000, and living standards were equivalent to that of the 1980s and 1990s domestically. Shang Ke stayed here for more than a week, mainly to process some relevant evidence. The ID was fake, of course, but he could use his hacking skills to make it real. Although it couldn’t stand in-depth investigations, it was enough to buy tickets, pass traffic, spot checks, work odd jobs, and so on.

During the ID application process, Shang Ke was unable to work and make money. He could only follow an old scavenger everywhere to collect garbage, and learned about local customs here along the way.

Shang Ke didn’t think that scrap collecting was an extremely humiliating thing at all, and he didn’t care about other people’s ridicule and contempt. Every day, he and the old man left early and returned late, picking up bottles and jars, and eating one or two pieces of dry bread. The old man was a great conversationalist, and Shang Ke loved to hear him narrate all kinds of exaggerated anecdotes. Occasionally, they would run into one or two hooligans, but Shang Ke easily finished them off.