~ Part 68 ~

꧁༒☬"𝓨𝓸𝓾 𝓼𝓬𝓪𝓻𝓮 𝓶𝓮," 𝓱𝓮 𝓼𝓪𝓲𝓭.
"𝓦𝓱𝔂?" 𝓼𝓱𝓮 𝓪𝓼𝓴𝓮𝓭.
"𝓑𝓮𝓬𝓪𝓾𝓼𝓮 𝓘 𝓽𝓮𝓵𝓵 𝔂𝓸𝓾 𝓽𝓱𝓲𝓷𝓰𝓼 𝓘 𝓬𝓪𝓷'𝓽 𝓮𝓿𝓮𝓷 𝓽𝓮𝓵𝓵 𝓶𝔂𝓼𝓮𝓵𝓯."☬༒꧂

Dabi smiled into Y/N's shoulder. This girl was really going to be the death of him. He couldn't remember to have ever acted so ... so based off of his emotions. It felt strange. To be this open, to be this vulnerable. To not have to hide anything.

He lifted his head, staring at her from the side. She really was so beautiful. He didn't have to hide anything from her, she knew it all. How could she still even want to be around him? Her lids lifted, her long, dark lashes reflecting lightly against the light as her eyes looked around at the people in front of her. She was so perfect in every way. Again, the question came to his mind. Why him? She was such a pure person, an angel, she was beautiful, she was strong and independent. And he ... he was ... a scumbag. Y/N's words rung in his ears when she'd kissed him. "You're enough. A thousand times enough". Really? Did she ... did she really think that? That he was ... that him as a person was just enough?

She seemed to notice his stare as her bright eyes glanced at him. They stared at him with such wonder and such gentleness; it was strange really. Almost like uncharted territory to him. But god, he loved it. He could stare at her forever, he could bathe in her breathtaking eyes forever.

"I'll be back just now; I gotta use the bathroom", she spoke, without waiting for an answer she turned to go to the bathroom. He watched her as she walked away, subconsciously biting his lip. She really was perfect in any aspect.

"You really love her, don't ya, lad?". Dabi turned to the sound of the voice. The older man had taken a step closer to him and sent him a knowing smile. "Hmm?", Dabi asked, caught of guard. "I can see it in your eyes. The way you look at her", he explained. Dabi chuckled, avoiding the man's eye contact. Love? Had he ever even used that word? Ever thought about it? Love. Love. He repeated the word in his head. No, he didn't like the word. It was so overrated and frankly – just no. In any case – images of Y/N flashed to his mind – it wasn't close to what he felt for her.

"It's strange – you two", the man looked in the direction that Y/N went into as Dabi raised an eyebrow at him, "she looks like such a sweet darlin' and well, now this is not meant disrespectful, but you do look like quite the opposite". Dabi's eyes drifted across the woman talking with her rather interesting son. "Is that so?", he mumbled, looking at the man. The man laughed, suddenly leaning in close and winking. "I'll be honest here, I was too. Was really shady and a troublemaker back in my time", the man chuckled, "I think the special ladies just have a thing for that".

Dabi half smirked as he chuckled lightly. "But the girls that like men like us – you know they're really special. Not many women will see your flaws and decide to love you despite the severity of them, and then they even try and help your to become a better version of yourself. Those are the special darlin's that were made from diamonds and the tears of angels", he mumbled, taking a sip of his drink. Dabi stared at the man. What the man used were good comparisons, but – still not good enough to describe Y/N.

"I can see that you really care for her, lad, so let an old geyser like me give you a little advice", the man picked up his glass, staring into it shortly before sending Dabi a side glance, "to love someone long term ... is to attend a thousand funerals of the people they used to be. The people they're too exhausted to be any longer. The people they don't recognize inside themselves anymore. The people they grew out of, the people they never ended up growing into. We so badly want the people we love to get their spark back when it burns out, to become speedily found when they are lost. But y'know boy, it is not our job to hold anyone accountable to the people they used to be. It is our job to travel with them between each version and to honor what emerges along the way. Sometimes it will be an even brighter flame. Sometimes it will be a flicker that disappears and temporarily floods the room with a perfect and necessary darkness".

Dabi stared at the man, swallowing hard. Images of when Y/N had told him her story, when she had kissed him flooded his mind. He felt the sting in his heart when he had told Y/N that he hadn't really cared for her story and had seen her pained expression. Despite him being mean to her ... she still had cared for him and had wanted to know his story. What had made him the way he was. After telling her he didn't care, she still wanted to understand him for the person he was; she had still wanted to help him. His throat felt dry and tight.

"When I was younger", the man continued, staring at his wife now, "I thought love was about red roses and expensive dinners ... truth is, love is, giving her half of your fries when she said she wasn't hungry. It's waking up at 4am to her snoring and refraining from shoving her off the bed. It's talking in accents just for shits, and trying to embarrass one another in public. It's going on adventures and making fun of each other. Its stupid fights and memorable make ups. Love isn't pretty and romantic ... Love is just ... it's just stumbling through your life with your best friend".

Best friend? Had he ever had anything close to a friend? No, not really. It was always just ... he, himself. The only other person who'd always been there for him ... was himself. Not anymore though ... maybe. Y/N ... Y/N ... she -. He swallowed hard. He was scared to trust another person again. Was Y/N really ... did she really ...? He sighed. How could he doubt her? He saw her eyes, felt her lips, heard her words. Maybe, maybe she did love him. Maybe, there was finally someone out there, who truly loved him for who he was.

Just then Y/N came back from the bathroom. She walked towards him, her eyes steady and firm on his, a small smile on her lips. All the doubt vanished. It didn't even matter to him if she felt for him the way he did for her, he'd go through any kind of pain for her. The way she stared at him ... Y/N had an honest heart, she wouldn't be able to lie to him. Especially not with her eyes that stared at him like this.

"Hey", she mumbled softly, stepping close enough so that her arm brushed against his, making his heart beat faster. "You look like a dazzling flower", he blurted out, almost breathless. He couldn't seem to tear his eyes away from her as the rest of the world became a blur. Her cheeks grew red as she scowled. "Excuse me, don't tell me I look like a flower. In my heart I'm a Wiener schnitzel", she grumbled. He let out a laugh. There was really no one out there quite like her. She tried to fight off her own smile as she turned to the woman again.

Maybe he was the worst person on this planet, but he would always try his best for her.