~ Part 86 ~

꧁༒☬𝓨𝓸𝓾 𝓪𝓻𝓮 𝓶𝔂 𝓫𝓵𝓾𝓮 𝓬𝓻𝓪𝔂𝓸𝓷, 𝓽𝓱𝓮 𝓸𝓷𝓮 𝓘 𝓷𝓮𝓿𝓮𝓻 𝓱𝓪𝓿𝓮 𝓮𝓷𝓸𝓾𝓰𝓱 𝓸𝓯.
𝓣𝓱𝓮 𝓸𝓷𝓮 𝓘 𝓾𝓼𝓮 𝓽𝓸 𝓬𝓸𝓵𝓸𝓾𝓻 𝓶𝔂 𝓼𝓴𝔂☬༒꧂

The rhythmic sound of crunching snow was drowned out by the howling wind that swept across the barren, white landscape.

You realized the sound originated from below your feet as you took heavy steps through the snow. Why on earth were you walking through snow? Where were you? You looked down at your feet. And why the heck were you barefoot in the middle of a snowstorm?

You looked up, squinting your eyes to protect your delicate cornea as snowflakes were flung all around you. Your vision was limited and clouded by a grey and white haze. You could only see a few meters ahead of you, before it became nothing but a silvery wall.

Clutching your arms, you felt the cold properly for the first time. You looked down at yourself again, realizing you were dressed in nothing but a single moth-green rag. The one you wore for years on end at the lab.

Where were you? Why were you here?

You took a step forward, the cold numbing your bare feet. This had been the direction you had been going before ... maybe you had some sort of destination? Your breaths became laboured as you continued walking, the air tearing up your lungs with each breath.

You coughed, your knees buckling under your weight. Your limbs felt stiff with cold. Regret swarmed you as you coughed when it turned into a coughing fit, one so violent, it brought you to your knees. Blood splattered onto the white snow, creating a frightening contrast. Between the howling of the wind, the whistling of your own lungs leapt through the air. With shaking, purple tinted hands you wiped the blood from your lips.

A strange sound reached your ears. You thought it was death whispering in your ears, carried by the winds at first, but the more you listened, the clearer the screams of a young girl reached your ears. "Hello?", you wheezed.

"Help me! Someone, please!", a voice cried out in terror, somewhere in the distance.

"I-I'm coming!", you called out, pressing yourself up on shaking hands and legs.

"Help me ... please", the small girls voice had started fading.

"W-Wait! Where are – where are you?", you yelled out, your throat begging for mercy.

"Help me ...", the voice wailed. You couldn't pinpoint from where the voice was coming from. It was all around you. You stumbled back, spinning in circles, searching for the voice.

"He-Hello?", you gasped when your back touched something. You spun around, unsure of what to expect. Maybe a polar bear?

The snowstorm seemed to freeze, everything becoming early still.

You stared at a white wall. You frowned in confusion. It seemed like a perfectly, flawless square wall in the middle of nowhere. The cold almost forgotten in confusion, you stepped around it, looking behind it.

There you spotted a small girl clutching her knees to her chest as she dug her face into her arms. She shook with sobs, bathing in her own blood. Her cries sounded horrid. They seemed to scratch her throat, whistling with every inhale of air. Something about the girls rough, dark brown – almost ashen hair seemed familiar. You kneeled down, struggling to keep your balance with the violent shivers that rocketed through you.