~ Part 22 ~

꧁༒☬𝓐 𝓼𝓴𝔂 𝓯𝓾𝓵𝓵 𝓸𝓯 𝓼𝓽𝓪𝓻𝓼, 𝔂𝓮𝓽 𝓱𝓮 𝔀𝓪𝓼 𝓼𝓽𝓪𝓻𝓲𝓷𝓰 𝓪𝓽 𝓱𝓮𝓻☬༒꧂

You squeezed your eyes shut, your head hitting the ground hard. Groaning, you rolled over on your side as you finally came to a stop. You had to blink several times to orientate yourself.

Looking around, your vision cleared. You had crashed into a tree, Dabi being torn from you a few meters beforehand. Your muscles contracted in pain as you sat up, looking around. "Dabi?", you called out, your voice tight in pain.

You heard a groan a bit further from beside you. Dabi had collided with a large root that stuck out from the ground from the very tree you had tumbled into. The tree was a large oak tree, you estimated it was at least round about 80 feet tall and 50 feet in breadth. Its dark brown bark ran up in long, uneven lines as you looked up at it, its lush green leaves at the top offering a large amount of shade. You crawled over to him, frowning from discomfort as you did. "Are you okay?", your voice was still shaky and hoarse.

He sighed heavily, opening one of his eyes to look at you. "One of these days I'm going to lose it and I'm going to kill you", he grumbled, grabbing his head painfully. "Well, that's not comforting at all", you grumbled, relaxing though.

He sat up, wincing quietly. You looked at him. Dabi's hair was tousled, filled with sticks and leaves, his face scratched up and full of dirt. On any normal occasion you would've laughed, but you still felt sick to your stomach.

You bit your lip, realizing that what Dabi had said before was true. You went into full panic mode and didn't even stop to think for a single minute. Things could've gone better if you'd just stopped to think. God, sometimes you wished you didn't exist at all. All you ever did was make things harder for other people.

You sunk together, your head between your knees. Your lip trembled at the tears making their way to your eyes. No. Stop. You couldn't cry now. Get it together.

"I'm sorry", you whispered, afraid that if you said it any louder you'd start crying. "Sorry for what?", Dabi mumbled.

You let out a humorless laugh as you threw your hands into the air. "All of this. All of this bullshit", you sighed, feeling tired all of a sudden. You just wanted to go home...

Dabi stared at you for a few more seconds, before slightly shaking his head. "Don't be like that", he grumbled, sending you a glare.

Your face retorted in confusion. "What?", you stared at him, "What's that supposed to mean?".

"Don't become all soggy and feel sorry for yourself. I don't like it", he grumbled, looking away.

"You don't like it? Oh well too bad for you shit-face, I'm not here trying to please you", you hissed.

Dabi chuckled. "There we are. Welcome back aboard Y/N", he smirked at you.

You were left momentarily stunned as you realized what he had done. A smile unwillingly made its way up your lips as you shook your head. "You're awful", you mumbled, getting up. "Nothing I haven't heard before", he muttered, doing the same.

"Okay let's see", you looked around, trying to search your surroundings, " a street shouldn't be too far from here, or well, we should run into one at some point, since the street we took spiraled upwards around the mountain".

You looked back to from where you had come. "It looks like we've lost them for now", a sense of relief washed over you, "but we should hurry. There's not guarantee they aren't still after us, plus, we need to make it back before sunset". You looked up at the sky, the gold color fading by the minute.

It was painful to walk, but it was manageable. You and Dabi walked in silence, high on alert for any noises. Thoughts of Dabi's actions in the last few hours whirled around your mind.

Why was he being so nice? Well, in his own way at least. He wasn't sure how to comfort you or help you at all, yet he still tried to ease you in his own strange way. You looked down at his feet, each step matching yours. A weird feeling bubbled up inside. What was wrong with you? Why did it make you feel so... warm inside? Before your only feelings towards him were rather unpleasant, cold, but for some reason, when you thought of him now... something inside you softened. You actually considered facts such as the way he acted, because of something that had happened in his past. I mean you don't just become a villain for absolutely no reason, right?

You glanced at him from the side. He looked straight ahead, his face filled with golden specs of sunlight that managed to break through the thick green leafy canopy from the trees. His eyes, looking clear and deep like those oceans you saw in commercials for holiday resorts. The wind slightly blew through his hair, making it dance around his face in uneven waves. His eyes shifted, meeting yours, a ray of sunlight shining directly onto them, making them look like a thousand blue crystals staked together. You quickly averted your eyes, feeling a subtle warmth grow in your cheeks. Crap, you hadn't meant to stare.

You looked ahead, your eyes finding a familiar black tarred road out in front of you. You face lit up with relief as your steps quickened. Hopefully there were still cars driving at this time. The sun was already hanging pretty low.

You approached the road, looking out for any signs from those henchmen or any suspicious looking vehicles. To your relief there weren't any. You treaded out to the side of the road, and like a god-sent gift, a small, red minivan rounded the corner. Realizing that there was a -37% chance of the van stopping for two people who looked like literal cavemen, you stepped out into the road, forcing the minivan to stop. Dabi caught onto your plan, quickly walking over and opening the door to the driver's seat.

The older Chinese man stared at Dabi in horror, then as fast as his shock had appeared, he set on a deepened frown, grabbing the door and nearly pulling it shut. "Woah, slow down there old man", Dabi send him a dangerous look, "get out".

"O-Or", you walked up next to Dabi, your hands trembling in fear, "you could just give us a lift please". Dabi looked at you. "C'mon, we could just hijack this thing. That's a lot more fun".

You pursed your lips. "No. Do you have any idea how much trouble we can get in if this gets out. I think I've had enough of jail cells for the next 5 years".

"Don't be such a child, I know how to contain myself".

"You absolutely do not".

The Chinese man looked from you to Dabi in confusion and annoyance. You turned to look at him. "Please? We really need a ride home", you asked, in the sweetest voice you could muster. Dabi rolled his eyes, standing up straight.

The man sighed tiredly, then motioned for you to get into the back. You gasped in relief. "Thank you so much", you bowed deeply, then headed for the back doors. Dabi scowled as he got in next to you.

You leaned into the seat, tiredness overcoming you as the car began to move. The man eyed you suspiciously, occasionally looking to the front to keep the car on the road. The colors of the sunset burned vividly as you stared out of the window, the forest now a black silhouette of trees. Not only your heart, but limbs and mind felt all heavy and tired, your eyelids becoming hard to keep open. The soft hum of the car and the even breathing of Dabi beside you, lulled you softly, as you felt yourself fall into a deep abyss of sleep.