⁕ halcyon ⁕

Although Hermione, Ron, and I were all supposed to be studying for our end-of-year exams, which would conveniently end on the day of the final task, we put most of our efforts into helping Harry prepare. 

"Don't worry about it." I said after Harry had pointed out that he didn't mind practicing on his own. 

"At least we'll get top marks in Defense Against the Dark Arts. We'd never have found out about all these different hexes in class." said Hermione.

"Good training for when we're all Aurors." said Ron excitedly as he attempted the Impediment Curse on a wasp that had buzzed into the room. It stopped dead in midair and fell.

 It was now June and the air was warm enough to strip off our robes and hang out outside in the sunshine. Everyone was buzzing about the upcoming task and it was the only topic going around when they had time to talk between classes. I hadn't considered what I wanted to do when I was older in the wizarding world and I contemplated different scenarios as we walked to the empty Transfiguration classroom to practice some more. 

"I haven't really thought about what I wanted to do when I'm older." I said out loud to the three of them, "I suppose being an Auror wouldn't be so bad. But I've never really seen myself as one." 

"Well, I'm sure you'll find something you like. I certainly won't be an Auror, I was thinking maybe something along the lines of... maybe the head of a department," said Hermione, giving me a smile. 

"Yeah... well, I still have 3 more years to think about everything," I replied. 

Harry had done surprisingly well with all the new spells Hermione had given him. He'd mastered the Impediment Curse, Reductor Curse, and the Four Point Spell, a useful discovery on Hermione's part. It would always make his wand point north, therefore enabling him to check whether he was going in the right direction or not. The only trouble he was having, was on the Shield Charm. It was supposed o cast a temporary invisible wall around him that deflected minor curses. I had managed to shatter it with a Jelly-Legs Jinx, and Harry had wobbled around the room for ten minutes afterward, to my amusement, before we had looked up the counter-jinx. 

"You're doing amazing, Harry." I said encouragingly, looking down at the list of spells that Hermione had found. 

"Some of these are bound to come in handy." she piped up from behind me. 

"Hey, come look at this." Ron said, who was staring at the window and looking down at the grounds. The three of us walked over to where he was standing and saw Malfoy, Crabbe, and Goyle looking like they were keeping lookout; all three of them were smirking. But Malfoy had his hands close to his mouth and was whispering fast into his palms. 

"It looks like he's using a walkie-talkie," said Harry curiously, straining to get a better look at them through the window. 

"It can't be, I've told you. These things don't work around Hogwarts." Hermione said from my left. 

"Come on, let's try that shield charm." I said, hurrying to get away from anything that had to do with Malfoy. 

※※※

Sirius had been sending Harry daily owls now and I rested my head upon Harry's shoulder, reading the newest letter. 

If Voldemort is really getting stronger again, my priority is to ensure your safety. He cannot hope to lay hands on you while you are under Dumbledore's protection, but all the same, take no risks: Concentrate on getting through the maze safely, and then we can turn our attention to other matters.