⁕ amortentia ⁕

Harry's POV

I couldn't stop thinking about y/n. I racked my brain, hoping to find where this newfound feeling  had come from. Was it because I missed her over the summer? 

"Harry. What was that out on the Quidditch pitch? Do you like-" He started. 

"Yes, Ron. Whatever you are going to ask, it's yes."

"Bloody hell, when did that happen?" He inquired. 

"I don't know. And I don't know what to do about it." My stomach had never been this twisted up into knots before. I had never even had a crush and was clueless about what to do. Y/N had been amazing on the quidditch pitch. I had watched her from the sidelines with the other Gryffindor teammates and had smiled at how effortlessly she had hit the beaters back at the opposing team. She had definitely improved since the first time she played. I had gotten a smidge of courage after and put my arm around her. Even that tiny gesture sent a shock wave through my body. 

Then we had gone to breakfast, and I hadn't been able to stop staring at her either. The curve of her lips, her soft hair. It didn't help that the night before had been so emotional. I had never wanted to kiss somebody so bad, I honestly had never wanted to kiss anyone in general. I cracked my knuckles as I walked to potions class. I noticed it was now my anxious tick. 

I walked into potions class and read the blackboard. Amortentia. I'd never heard of it before. Sitting down next to Hermione, I waited for Snape to enter the class. I ran his fingers through his hair. Should I ask her out? I thought. No, it was too soon for that, he wasn't even sure if she felt the same. Then Snape entered the classroom. Closing the door behind him, the classroom became darker than it already was. 

"Amortentia. Does anybody care to explain?" Snapes asked in his usual uninterested voice. There was a cauldron fuming at the front of the classroom. It's whispy fog-like steam had the color of pink roses. Hermione raised her hand and he pointed to her, 

"Amortentia, is the most powerful love potion in the world. It's rumored to smell differently to each person according to what attracts them." Snape motioned for her to come closer. She stood up and took a smell of the potion. 

"For example, I smell freshly mown grass, spearmint toothpaste, and..." she stood back and blushed. Then went back to her seat. I gave her a look and got even redder. 

"Amortentia is also considered a highly dangerous potion," Snape went on, "It does not create love, only obsession with the person. Today you will each smell the potion and take notes on what you smell, as well as writing a paragraph on its different ingredients." 

I walked to the cauldron with Ron, who I hadn't noticed was next to me this whole time. He was looking at Hermione. I took a whiff of the amortentia and felt a sense of euphoria wash over me. I felt a stupid smile grow over my face and I saw Ron had a grin on his face too. It smelled like, treacle tart (my favorite dessert), an earthy scent I recognized as the quidditch pitch after it rained, and, I closed my eyes, smoke? I scrunched my eyes. Almost like a campfire. Weird. I had never been camping before. 

※※※

Amortentia, this would be fun I thought. Me and Arabella walked into potions class hoping that Snape had died and we wouldn't have to go to class, but this lesson actually seemed interesting so we took our seats and got ready. He explained its properties and what this "love potion" could do a person. 

Then we were told to go up and describe what we smelled. I smiled, hoping I'd smell something that reminded me of home. And I did. I smelled my mother's favorite candle, which was also my favorite. It smelled strongly of strawberry pound cake and made me feel warm inside. Then I got a whiff of wet cement. When I had moved to London, I was so excited about the usual rainy and cloudy weather, and on the first day in our new house, that's exactly what I got. I cocked my head to the side, there was something I couldn't quite describe, a clean smell that could only be described as fresh and honey-like. It made me quite drowsy and I felt the urge to fall asleep. Arabella was looking at me funny and then grabbed my arm, leading me back to our desk. 

"Y/N, what in Azkaban did you smell in that? You looked ready to take a nap." 

"I honestly have no clue. It felt familiar but I couldn't put my finger on it." I said. I was so embarrassed, what could I have possibly smelled to make me so relaxed? 

"Anyway, what did you smell," I asked her. 

"Oh, my grandmother's perfume, something lemony, and uhh something pine-like." She blushed. 

"Does somebody have a crush?!" I questioned, scooting closer to her.

"Maybe... but I'm not telling you." She said, putting her nose in the air and crossing her arms. 

"Alright. But that doesn't mean I can't guess." Her eyes widened but she didn't say anything.

"You know, I'm going to answer no to every person." 

"Yeah I don't care, you will budge." I started with the boys from Ravenclaw. 

"Leo...no...Jacob....no....Oscar?"

"Ew, gross!" She practically yelled.

I threw my hands up in defense, "ALRIGHT, I just had to make sure." I snorted.

"Um, okay um Cedric?" I asked, squinting my eyes and making a suspicious face.

"Okay, yes he's kinda hot but no." She replied back. It was true, Cedric was hot, every single girl was slobbering all over him. 

"Umm, Gryffindor?" I questioned. She said nothing. That was my cue. 

"Ahh please don't tell me its Ron, I really want to get him and Hermione together-"

"No, it's not Ron." She made a face.

"Hey, he's my bestie, don't make that face." I said, slapping her arm. 

"Owww." She moaned.

"Oliver...no...Fred...no, good..George...no, even better..." My commentary made her laugh but she still didn't give me an answer. 

"Seamus...no....Neville....no...Dean- wait." She turned her head towards mine. Eyes screaming out to not yell what I had figured out. 

"You have a crush. ON NEVILLE LONGBOTTOM!" I whisper yelled. I mean it made sense, she did smell pine in the amortentia, and it was so secret that Neville always spent time outside, he was the top of his class in Herbology. 

"MMM, please don't tell anybody," Arabella said almost too quickly to understand, she grabbed my hand tightly. 

"You guys, ughh would look so freaking adorable." I smiled and she covered her face, "but yes, I won't tell anybody." Class was almost over and Snape was quietly chatting to that Slytherin girl. God, I wondered how he HADN'T been fired already. It looked as if everybody at Hogwarts had a crush on somebody. 

--------------------------------------------------------------

I couldn't NOT make Arabella have a crush on Neville. ✨ It just makes sense. ✨

Word Count: 1198