⁕ the memorial ⁕

Y/N's POV:

"The end," said Dumbledore, looking around at them all, "of another year." 

He paused and then his eyes fell upon the Hufflepuff table. Their table had been the most quiet and subdued table before he had gotten up to speak. Their faces were sad and pale, and I felt my throat close up. 

"There is much that I would like to say to you all tonight, : he said, "but i must first acknowledge the loss of a very fine person, who should be sitting here enjoying our feast with us. I would like you all, please to stand and raise your glasses to Cedric Diggory." 

They did it, all of them; the benches scraped as everyone from every house stood and raised their goblets and echoed in one loud low rumbling voice, "Cedric Diggory." 

"Today we acknowledge... a really terrible loss. Cedric was a person who exemplified many of the qualities that distinguish Hufflepuff House. As you all know, was exceptionally hard working, fair minded, and... most importantly...a fierce... fierce friend. Now I think therefore you have the right to know exactly how he died. You see, Cedric Diggory was murdered."

The hall was so silent you could hear a pin drop. Harry's shoulders slumped in his seat next to me. I caught a glimpse of Cho Change through the crowd. There were tears pouring silently down her face. I looked down at the table once more. 

"By Lord Voldemort. The Ministry of Magic does not wish for me to tell you this. But I do not think so"

Stunned and frightened, every face in the Hall was turning towards Dumbleore now. Or at least almost every face. Over at the Slytherin table, I saw Draco muttering something to Crabbe and Goyle. I felt a surge of anger course through me, but I forced myself to turn back to the front of the room. 

I think that would be an insult to his memory. Now the pain, we all feel at this dreadful loss reminds me,  and reminds us, that while we may come from different places and speak in different tongues.. our hearts beat as one."

"There is somebody else who must be mentioned in connection with Cedric's death. I am talking, of course, about Harry Potter"  A ruppled crossed the Great Hall and I saw heads turned in Harry's direction before flicking back to Dumbledore. 

"Harry managed to escape Lord Voldemort because of Cedric. And then he risked his own life to return Cedric's body to Hogwarts. He showed, in every respect, the sort of bravery that few wizards have ever shown in facing Lord Voldemort. And for this, I honor him." 

Dumbledore turned gravely to Harry and raised his goblet once more. Nearly everyone in the Great Hall followe suit, the mured his name and drank to him. When everyone has once again resumed their seats, Dumbledore continued, "The Triwizards Tournament's aim was to further and promote magical understanding. In the light of what has happened, such ties are most important than ever before." 

Dumbledore looked from Madame Maxime and Hagrid, to Fleur Delacour and her fellow Beauxbatons students, to Viktor Krum and the Durmstrangs at the Slytherin table.

"Every guest in this Hall." said Dumbledore, "Will be welcomed back here at any time, should they wish to come. I say to you all, once again- in the light of Lord Voldemort's return, we are only as strong as we are united, as weak as we are divided Lord Voldemort's gift for spreading discord and enmity is very great. We can fight it only by showing an equally srong bond of friendship and trust, differences of habit and language are nothing at all if our aims are identical and our hearts are open."

"In light of recent events, the bonds of friendship we've made this year will be more important than ever. Remember that, and Cedric Diggory will not have died in vain. You remember that and we'll celebrate a boy who was kind and honest, and brave a true, right to the very end. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Word Count: 676

pain 😁