⁕ sunny afternoon ⁕

Y/N POV

We walked to the Owlery early on Sunday morning to send Percy a letter, just as Sirius had suggested. The air was crisp and cold as we climbed the spiral staircase, and my nose burned whenever I took a breath. Taking the letter from Ron, Harry spied Hedwig and called her down. She gave me an affectionate nip on my hand before moving to Harry, who petted her soft white coat before attaching the letter to her foot. We all watched her fly out the Owlery window and then made our way out again, hurrying to get to the warm castle. 

"I hope Percy writes back fast." I said, rubbing at my frozen fingers. 

"Knowing him, he's going to take forever or send nothing back at all." Said Ron with a frown. 

"We just have to be even more careful." said Hermione. Her cheeks flushed from the wind. 

I nodded in agreement and felt Harry take my hand, his warm fingers thawing my frozen ones. I smiled at him. A silent thank you. A few minutes later we were back in the Great Hall, sitting at the Gryffindor Table. I helped myself to some sausage and scrambled eggs, my stomach growling. As I ate my breakfast, I watched as the surrounding house tables became more and more full with their corresponding students. It was still fairly early and I tried to think of some fun ideas for the rest of the day.

I absolutely did not want to study or stay inside. It was much too beautiful outside for that. Although the chilly air snaked its way through the castle, the bright sunlight told me it would be a sunny afternoon. I looked over to Ron who was, as always, eating like tomorrow wouldn't happen, and Hermione who was trying to discuss Triwizard Tournament ideas with Harry, who was just nodding along to whatever she was saying. Swallowing a bite of my eggs I turned to the three of them. 

"Do you guys want to have a picnic?" 

"Huh?" said Ron, his mouth bulging with sausage. I snickered at him before repeating myself.

"A picnic. I mean it's really nice outside and I think we should all just try to relax today. We can worry about everything else tomorrow." I said. 

"I think that's a brilliant idea." Harry said. 

"Well, as long as I can bring some books with me, then I think it would be nice as well." Hermione seconded. 

"Ron?" I asked. 

"Oh! Yeah... yeah that sounds nice." His eyes were looking somewhere else and I turned around to see Fleur Delacour walking past our table. I smacked Ron over the head. 

He made a noise before saying, "Yes! I would love to go on a picnic with you, Y/N." 

"Much better." I said. Although I couldn't blame Ron for staring at Fleur, she was really beautiful with her flowing blonde hair and striking blue eyes. Her face like porcelain and her hips swaying as she walked by. 

I heard Harry's voice whisper to me, "You're doing it again." I blinked and turned to him. 

"Sorry." I said as I came back into reality. 

I had a bad habit of comparing myself to others and Harry always caught me as I did it. I would zone out and end up thinking about how I wasn't good enough or pretty enough. And Harry, being the sweetest person alive, would tell me how I was perfect. That was one of the things I liked most about him. He was always so kind to those he loved. 

"Don't make me recite the endless list of all the reasons you are-" he started, counting on his fingers until I nudged him in the shoulder and gave him a small kiss. 

"You don't have to remind me." I said looking into his eyes. God, I could stare at them all day. 

After finishing our breakfast, we all discussed our plans for the afternoon. We'd sneak some food during lunch and then take a few blankets out to a nice spot near the west side of the Black Lake. 

※※※

Later That Day

I was walking through the tall grass that grew farther out from the castle picking some purple-blue flowers growing on the side of the Lake's shore. I admired their shape, looking at the small tiny bugs that scuttled around in its center. Plucking a few more from the ground I made my way back to the wool blanket placed beneath a large shady tree. Hermione was lying down in the sun reading a fairly large book. Her brown hair splayed around her head. I sat down next to her and said jokingly, 

"Some light reading eh?" She gave me a look before smiling and replying with a, "Yes, in fact, it is." 

"You know I actually used to like reading,"  I said, distracting her from her book again. I tossed myself on the ground next to her before saying, "I just stopped because of school. Too much of it during class. It didn't feel fun after." 

"You know, sometimes I feel the same way." 

"Really!?" I fake gasped, "Who are you and what have you done with the real Hermione?" I said with a smile. 

"Oh shut up!" She said, before attempting to hit me with her book. I gave out a small shriek, before rolling over. I met Ron's face on the other side. 

"Hello, Ronald." I said sarcastically. 

"Why do you two always call me Ronald?" He asked. 

"It's just funny." I replied, sitting up and moving over to the small bag of food we had brought from the castle. I took some chips out of the bag and a small red apple. I leaned back on the trunk of the tree and was about to take a bit of the apple when a hand came a snatched it from mine. 

"Hey!" I cried out, looking up. Harry was sitting in one of the low tree branches, and he gave me a smirk before taking a bite of the apple. I stood up, looking for a way to climb up to him. I dug my nails into the tree's thick bark and hoisted myself up, scooting myself against the wood. Harry watched me make my way towards him, his eyes glinting mischievously. When I finally got to him, he had taken another bite of the apple. 

"Want to give me back my apple?" I said, sitting in between his legs. 

"Yeah sure, for a kiss." He said, leaning back into the branch holding him. 

"Why should I kiss you, when you're the one who stole my apple?" I said, crossing my arms. 

"Because." was all he said. I rolled my eyes but came closer to his face and let my lips brush over his before snatching the apple. The quick movement almost made me fall off the branch but Harry wrapped an arm around my waist, keeping me steady. 

It was his turn to say, "Hey!" as I took a bite of the apple, "That's not fair, I didn't even get my kiss." He argued and I ate the rest of it. 

Swallowing I said, "Now you can get one." Before pressing my lips into his. The kiss mixed with the warm sun on my back made me feel so content. We didn't break apart until I felt the apple core drop and then a yell come from below. I smiled against Harry's lips as I heard Ron cry out. 

"Seriously mate, what are you doing- oh my god, stop with the snogging already!" 

"Shut up Ron, or I will drop something heavier than an apple core on your head." I threatened him, laughing. 

Turning my body, I leaned into Harry's body. Nothing could possibly ruin the moment, I squinted my eyes, looking out into the distance. 

.....except Malfoy. 

--------------------------------------------------------------

Word Count: 1313 

Thank you guys SO SO SO MUCH FOR 1K VOTES

I saw it while I was writing the chapter and got really emotional

<3