⁕ dudley gets demented ⁕

Harry's POV

I was sure that the loud sound the Dursleys, and I had heard outside had been because of magic. More specifically, it had been somebody Apparating or Disapparating. I walked on, not caring where I was going or when I'd come back to Privet Drive. And then my frustration peaked as I thought about Hermione's obscure note that read, 

"We can't say much about you know what, obviously... we've been told not to say anything in our letters in case they go astray. We're also busy, but I can't give you any details. We'll tell you when we see you."

The thing was, I didn't know when I was going to see Hermione and Ron and the twins again. Especially Y/N... 

What was going on? I'd wondered about that question countless times over the summer, and as August began it's everlasting days, the sinking pit in his stomach seemed to open wider with every week. I could hardly stand the ideas of them having fun wherever they were. The Burrow most likely. And every time I felt that sting of jealousy rise up, I'd feel the guilt rise up with it. Don't think about it, I reminded myself and I kept walking until I made it to Magnolia Cresent and walked into a dark, narrow alleyway. A gust of wind blew through the street and goosebumps pebbled up on my skin. It was random for such cold air to appear so randomly in the summer heat. Rain didn't seem evident as I looked at the sky overhead. 

I made it to a small park; it's swings rusted, and sat down. Passing time for nothing in the apparent future. I had no clue how long I had been sitting there until I heard footsteps and turned my head, expecting to find some little kids, but saw Dudley and his gang coming my way. 

Dudley was as vast as ever. His hard dieting and discovery of weightlifting gave a change in his physique. 

"The noble sport." Uncle Vernon called it, had made Dudley even more formidable than he had ever been. I was not afraid of my cousin anymore but It didn't help that Dudley was learning how to hit and punch even harder. I watched their figures cross the grass and as the sun started to set in the west, I looked around trying to see if there was anybody else they would see before him. But they didn't see me, and I breathed a sigh of relief. Anything else would have caused expellsion from Hogwarts and an outrage from the Dursleys, one more favorable than the other. 

I got to my feet and stretched, If I made it home before Dudley, I was sure to be safe from Uncle Vernon. So making my way down the street again I stayed silently behind Dudley and his "gang". I could hear what they were saying from the space away from them. 

"... squealed like a pig didn't he?" one of the boys said. 

"Nice right hook, Big D." said another.

"Same time tomorrow?" said Dudley. They all agreed in unison. I scowled at them from my distance, even the fact that Dudley got to hang with his friends, even how delinquent they were, made my blood boil. Even more with the fact that they had probably just come back from beating up another helpless kid. 

I waited for the rest of them to walk farther down the street, and when their voices were gone, I fell back into step with Dudley. Now, the worries of being beat up were gone. Dudley wouldn't hurt me if he was alone, not with the knowledge that I could use magic against him. He didn't know that I couldn't. And I wasn't about to tell him otherwise. On this note, I decided to have a lovely conversation with him.

"Hey Big D!" I shouted. Dudley turned around. 

"Oh, its you." He grunted. 

"How long have you been Big D?" I asked sarcastically.

"Shut it." he snarled. But I continued on. 

"Cool name, but you'll always be Ickle Diddykins to me." I said, pushing his buttons. 

"I said, SHUT IT!" said Dudley, whos ham-like hands had curled into fists.

"Don't your friends know what your mum calls you?" 

"Shut your face." 

"Anything else more clever you've got to say?" 

Dudley said nothing, shaking with rage he kept walking. A muscle was popping out of his forehead and I was sure he would pop a blood vessel if I kept this up. We turned right into another alleyway, this time it was darker, and the sun was already half way down. But the air chilled faster than it had usually done at this time of day. There were no streetlamps and only the sound of our footsteps were audible. 

"Think you're a big man carrying around that thing, don't you?" Dudley said after a few  moments. 

"What thing?" I asked.

"That-that thing  you're hiding." I knew what he meant and I pulled out my wand. Dudley made a face and said, "I know you're not supposed to use it."

"How do you know if they haven't changed the rules?" I pried. 

"They haven't." He insisted, a little hesitant. 

"You just wait until I tell Dad you had that thing out-" he threatened.

"Runing to Daddy now, are you?" I sneered. 

"Not this brave at night are you." He retaliated. 

"This is night, that's what we call it when the sun goes down." I joked.

"I mean when you're in bed." he said.

"What?" I asked, confused. We had now stopped walking. 

"I heard you last night." said Dudley breathlessly, "Talking in your sleep. Moaning." 

"What do you mean?" I asked, but now there was a cold feeling in my stomach.

"Don't kill Cedric! Who's Cedric- your boyfriend?" Dudley mocked.

"I- you're lying." I said, knowing that what he said was the truth. I had nightmares.  Nightmares about what had happened just two months ago. I pulled my wand out again, not thinking. Now rage boiled in me. 

"Shut up. I'm warning you." Dudley was backed up into the wall now. I felt all my hatred rise to the surface of my body. 

"Don't even talk about that again." I said quietly. "D'you understand me?" 

"Point that thing somewhere else!" Dudley said, frightened.

But as I was about to repeat myself, Dudleys wish came true. There was another cold gust in the air, but.. it was different. Dudley gave an odd gasp and his eyes widened. I looked around and for a split second, I thought I had accidentally done magic. But then I saw it... and it stared right back. 

A dementor. It drew long, hoarse rattling breaths. Sounds that made my body fill with dread and I looked at the black cloathed apparition. Dudley decided to make the worst decision of his life so far. He socked me across the face and the world went blurry and into focus at the same time. The dementor now looking fuzzy. Idiot! I thought. Looking around to grasp my bearings I saw Dudley do something even more stupid, if I was even possible. He began to ran towards it. 

"DUDLEY COME BACK!" I tried to warn him. But I saw him freeze up and his knees lock. Dudley's soul was being sucked from his body. On certain occasions, I would have been fine with him getting the beating he deserved, but in this moment, it was wrong. This wasn't supposed to happen. I said the spell automatically. 

"EXPECTO PATRONUM!"  A silvery stag protruded from my wand and caught the dementor where it's non existant heart would have been. I ran a few dozen steps as the dementor swooped away like a bat. Dudley was curled on the ground and I grabbed his arms, attemping to lift him. Straining, I decided to yell at him instead. How I was going to explain this to the Dursleys was going to be an even harder ordeal.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Word Count: 1336 

Author's Note: I hope all of you had a wonderful weekend. <3