⁕ just breathe ⁕

DOWNSTAIRS

"Good Morning y/n." My mom said as I walked down the staircase. 

"Morning," I said groggily. I noticed my mom was already dressed, her bag sitting on the kitchen table. I looked down at my candy cane pajama pants and fuzzy grey socks. I definitely wasn't ready for Diagon Alley. 

"Hmm, you know what- I'm going to go get ready." 

"Yeah, that's a good idea." My mom chuckled as I ran back up the stairway. I grabbed my purple brush from my nightstand and started with the rat's nest that was my hair. I saw my already opened Hogwarts letter sitting next to a photo of Hermione and me. It was the two of us at The British Library in London. It was no secret that Hermione loved to read, and when I first met her that was exactly what led us to be best friends. 

I hadn't lived in the U.K. my entire life. I used to live in sunny California with the rest of my family but when I got my letter for Hogwarts, my parents and I had whisked away to Great Britain where I could join the best school in the Wizarding World. If you haven't already guessed it, I am muggle-born. Which led to some nasty name-calling from Slytherin students my first and second year. But with Hermione, who was also muggle-born, we always had each others backs. 

I grabbed the letter again and read the list of books and items I needed for this year of school. 

During this year, all fourth years are required to have 

- One set of Dress Robes (for special occasions that will occur through the year

- The Standard Book of Spells, Grade 4 by Miranda Goshawk. 

- The Dark Forces: A Guide to Self-Protection.

and the list went on. 

I wondered what special occasion would happen this year, I excitedly put on some blue jeans and a grey cardigan sweater. I laced up my combat boots and headed to the bathroom. Brushing my teeth I stared at my reflection in the mirror. My y/c eyes stared back at me as I put a small amount of mascara on my eyelashes. I wasn't beautiful but I did think I was pretty. Not pretty enough to attract any boys though, nobody had ever had a crush on me apart for one Hufflepuff boy in the second year. He was nice, but being 12 years old then, I wasn't too keen on dating. 

Grabbing my wand, black walnut wood with dragon heartstring, I finally made my way out of the house where my mother was sitting out on the porch, her thermos letting the smell of black coffee fill the air. 

"Ready to go?" She asked

"Yep," I said excitedly. I hadn't written to Hermione, Ron, or Harry about meeting up, but all four of us always went a week before school started to buy our supplies. Jumping into our car, we headed off to Diagon Alley