⁕ the third task ⁕

So sorry for the delay :) 

Harry's POV

I walked to the evening feast, feeling more confident than I had felt earlier in the day. Mrs. Weasley and Bill had come down to give me good luck along with the other champions' families. I was silently reciting all the spells I had learned when I felt the silent presence of Y/N next to me. She gave me a weak smile and I squeezed her hand before leaning down to her ear. 

"Are you alright?" I asked, concerned.

"I should be asking you that." she countered, her eyes going back and forth between mine and the professor's table at the front of the hall. I turned to look and saw Ludo Bagman and Cornelius Fudge joining the staff. They both looked mildly happy; nothing amiss. 

"Seriously, are you alright." 

"Yes," she drew out the word. 

"You know you can tell me anything." I reminded her. 

"Oh, well if you have to know. After class today in DADA, I went to give my paper to Professor Moody and.. well I saw some weird man in his office. The thing is, Professor had just gone in there, but I didn't see him when I looked inside. I don't know... something about it seemed off." she finished. 

I thought for a moment. 

"Do you think maybe he was there for the third task?" I asked. 

"Maybe.. but why wouldn't he be up there with the rest of them then?" she countered. 

It did seem strange that this "new" man was not here with us for the evening feast but I dismissed the thought. 

"Maybe he was there to discuss some of the tasks in the maze?" I asked, trying to find a reasonable explanation. 

"Yes, that has to be it." Y/N said with a small smile. She looked much more reassured now and I relaxed. 

There were many more courses tonight than the previous feasts, but I felt nervous now and didn't eat much. As the enchanted ceiling overhead changed to a dusky purple, Dumbledore rose to his feet and silence fell. 

"Ladies and gentlemen, in five minutes' time, I will be asking you to make your way to the Quidditch field for the third and final task of the Triwizard Tournament. Will the champions please follow Mr. Bagman down to the stadium now." 

I stood up with Cedric, Krum, and Fleur and headed out of the Great Hall, waving back to the Weasleys and Hermione and Y/N. 

We walked onto the Quidditch field which was now completely unrecognizable. A twenty-foot high hedge ran all the way around it and there was a gap right in the front of them that offered a view into the vast maze. The passage was dark and thoroughly creepy. Five more minutes later the stands began to fill and my eyes scoured the crowd for my friends. Hagrid, Professor Moody, Professor McGonagall, and Professor Flitwick came walking into the stadium. 

"We are going to be patrolling the outside of the maze." McGonagall announced, "If you get into trouble, send red sparks into the air, and one of us will come and get you."  We all nodded. 

"Off you go then!" Bagman said brightly to the four of us. 

"Good luck, Harry." Hagrid whispered and I gave him a smile before walking away to the center of the stadium.

"Ladies and gentlemen, the third and final task of the Triwizard Tournament is about to begin! Let me remind you where the points stand! Cedric Diggory and Harry OPotter, both of Hogwarts are tied in the first place! In the second place, Viktor Krum! And in third place, Miss Fleur Delacour!" The stands erupted in cheers after each champion's name and I could just make out Mrs. Weasley, Bill, Ron, Hermione, and Y/N halfway up the stands.