⁕ diagon alley ⁕

I couldn't wait to be back at Diagon Alley. I missed the smell of wet rain on the cobblestone pavement. I missed hearing the laughter of the younger kids running around, taking in all the sights that were new to them. Ugh, I sound like I'm a middle-aged adult, I'm not even that older than those kids. I chucked to myself.

Being muggle-born, me and my mother didn't apparate or use floo powder. We drove down to where the Leaky Cauldron was located and I walked inside, passing the wood tables and bar stools, I tapped on the correct brick stones and the wall opened up for us. 

There it was in all its glory. Diagon Alley.  Flourish and Blotts shined brightly to the right and to the left I saw Madam Malkins's Robes for All Occasions. Before I could go to buy my dress robes I headed to Gringotts to transfer muggle money to the wizarding world currency. Sickles, knuts, and galleons. My mother went to the most normal part of Diagon Alley, Florean Fortescue's Ice Cream Parlor. My mother wasn't averse to the magic that lived in Diagon Alley, but she was happier to watch everyone do their thing than actually take part in it. I guess it was overwhelming. And I get that. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I left Gringotts with a bag of coins jingling in my hand. I took the list of supposed to buy out of my pocket and read over the list again. I started off at the closest spot, Scribbulus Writing Instruments. I said hello to those I saw from school and bought a bundle of parchment paper, ink, and a new quill. I desperately needed it; studying for O.W.L.S would be harsh this year. 

I moved onto Slug and Jiggers Apothecary. I picked up a copper cauldron and made my way out quickly. Although potions were the wizard equivalent of chemistry in the muggle world, something about it seemed off to me. I guess it just wasn't my forte. 

After picking up my 'The Standard Book of Spells, Grade 4" from Flourish and Blotts, I went back to my mother. It was time to get my dress robes for whatever occasion was happening this year.

"Are you finished? That was quick." She asked with a smile.

"Not yet, I need to get dress robes for some kind of event this year. I was hoping you'd come and help pick something out for me." 

"Of course, this is just right up my alley. Do you think this is some sort of dance?"

"Maybe, I haven't asked anybody," I replied. She hummed to herself and we both made our way to Madam Malkins's Robes for All Occasions.

Looking through the racks of dresses floating through the shop, I couldn't help but think to myself about how I hadn't seen Ron, Harry, or Hermione the entire time I was here. Of course, I had heard about what happened during the Quidditch World Cup this year. About how the Dark Mark had appeared above the stadium one night and Death Eaters had swarmed the campgrounds. I had immediately written letters to each one of them and asked if they were okay. Luckily they had been staying with each other at the end of this summer. And if you're wondering if I was invited, yes I was. But Mother is also very cautious and thought it was best for me to stay home. She got to say "I told you so" when she heard about the attacks. 

I started looking through a different rack of sparkling blue dresses I saw a strand of bushy brown hair through the gaps. 

"It can't be..., " I thought with a smile, "Hermione?" 

And it was Hermione. She pushes aside the dresses ran to hug me. We met in the middle and I wrapped my arms around her. 

"Y/N! I've been waiting to see you this entire summer! I missed you so so much!"

"Oh am I glad to see you too! It's been dreadfully boring back at home." I laughed.

We talked for a few minutes, discussing what books we read over the summer, Hermione talked an awful lot about Ron made a mental note to use my matchmaking skills to get them closer. We talked about what happened at the World Cup in hushed whispers.

"But let's stop talking about this awful stuff, " Hermione said at last, "I wanna look for a dress." I have no idea what we have to get them for but some part of me really wants to look my best." 

"Oh yeahhhh." I said, wiggling my eyebrows. I sensed she knew what I was implying and her faced reddened. 

We searched through the hundreds of dresses floating through the room. Some racks were color coordinated and some were jumbled together. Finally, Hermione let out a gasp. I walked over to where she was standing, holding a periwinkle ruffled gown. 

"Hermione... you have too," I said breathlessly. 

"Really?" She said with a giggle. 

"UM YES IM SURE," I said, and she laughed. 

"All right, I'm gonna get it. But have you found anything?" 

"Yeah, I think I found something, " My eyes wandered over to a rack of red gowns.  " I think I found something perfect." I grinned. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Woah 875 words, that's more than I do for essays. 💀)