⁕ eavesdropper ⁕

Harry's POV

I opened my eyes and looked up at Professor Trelawney with her hands over her face, gaping down at me. My scar was burning so badly that my eyes watered and I still had my hand grasping at my forehead. The whole class was standing around me; there faces a mix between worry and confusion. Ron was closest to me; kneeling at my side while I focused on my surroundings. 

"You all right?" he said. 

"Of course he isn't!" screeched Trelawney, looking more excited than anything. 

"What was it, Potter? A premonition? An apparition? What did you see?" she asked as her bug eyes loomed at me from behind her magnified glasses. 

"Nothing-" I lied to her, sitting up from the carpeted floor. I felt myself shaking and I couldn't help myself from looking around the room and into the dark shadows. The only light around was a small sliver from the opened window beside my armchair and the golden light from the candles. 

"You were clutching your scar!" She said, "You were rolling on the floor, clutching your scar! Come now, Potter, I have experience in these matters!" 

I looked up at her and repressed the embarrassment now rolling in my stomach. The thought of rolling around on the floor in front of the entire class was not every appealing. 

"I just need to go to the hospital wing, I think. Bad headache." I lied again, I was not going to the hospital wing. I needed to see Dumbledore. 

"But my dear, you were undoubtedly stimulated by the extraordinary clairvoyant vibrations of my room! If you leave now, you may loose the opportunity to see further than you have before-" she argued. 

"I don't want to see anything except for a headache cure." I rebutted. I stood up and the entire class backed up, looking very unnerved. I cast a glance over at Ron and muttered goodbye. Grabbing my back I headed to the trapdoor and made my way down the ladder. 

When I reached the bottom, I set off towards Dumbledore's office. Sirius had told me what to do if my scar hurt again and I was going to follow his advice. I marched down the corridors thinking about my strange and very vivid dream. Voldemort had accused Wormtail of making a blunder, and somebody was dead. I was so deep in thought that I walked past the stone gargoyle guarding the entrance to his office. I blinked, looking around the corridors and then retranced my steps, stopping in front of it. 

It was only until I opened my mouth to speak that I realized I didn't know the password. 

"Lemon drop?" I asked hesitantly. It didn't move. 

"Okay.. let's see... Pear Drop. Er- Licorice Wand. Fizzing Whizbee. Drooble's  Best Blowing Gum. Bertie Bott's Every Flavor Beans.... oh no, he doesn't like the, does he?... oh just open can't you? I really need to see him it's urgent!" I said angrily to the stone statue. 

I kicked it, achieving nothing but and excruciating pain in my big toe and embarrassment that I had been speaking to an inanimate object... well, not that inanimate. 

"Chocolate Frog! Sugar Quill! Cockroach Cluster!" As soon as the last two words left my mouth, the gargoyle sprang to life and jumped aside. I blinked; amazed. 

"Cockroach Cluster? I was only joking." I muttered and hurried up the gap in the walls and stepped onto the moving spiral stone staircase. Taking me up to a polished oak door with a bronze door knocker, I heard some voiced from inside the office. I stepped off the moving staircase and hesitated at the door, listening. 

"Dumbledore, I'm afraid that I don't see the connection at all!" The voiced sounded like the Minster of Magic's, Cornelius Fudge, "Ludo says Bertha's perfectly capable of getting herself lost. I agree we would have expected to have found her by now, but all the same, we've no evidence of foul play, Dumbledore, none at all. As for her disappearance being linked with Barty Crouch's!" 

"And what do you think's happening to Barty Crouch, MInister?" said Moody's voice. 

"I see two possibilities, Alastor. Either Crouch has finally cracked- more than likely, I'm sure you'll agree, given his personal history- lost his mind, and gone wandering off somewhere-" 

"He wandered extremely quickly, if that is the case, Cornelius." said Dumbledore calmly. I knew it was wrong to be listening to their private conversation... but since I was technically involved, I didn't pull my head away from the door. 

"Or else- well.... I'll reserve judgement until after I've seen the place where he was found, but you saw it was just past the Beauxbatons carriage? Dumbledore, you know what that woman is?" 

"I consider her to be a very able headmistress, and an excellent dancer." Dumbledore said quietly. 

"Dumbledore, come!" Fudge said angrily, "Don't you think you might be prejudiced in her favor because of Hagrid? They don't all turn out harmless- if, indeef you can call Hagrid harmless, with that monster fixation he's got-" 

I felt myself grow angry at the bad talk about Hagrid and forced myself to stay put. 

"I no more suspect Madame Maxime, than Hagrid, " replied Dumbledore, "I think it possible that it is you who are prejudiced, Cornelius." 

"Can we wrap up this discussion?" growled Moody. 

"Yes, yes, let's go down to the grounds, then." said Fudge, impatiently. 

"No, it's not that. It's just that Potter wants a word with you Dumbledore. He's just outside the door." 

I jumped back from the oak door just as soon as it opened and felt my face heat up. 

"Hello, Potter." said Moody in his usual growling voice, "Come in, then." 

----------------------------------------------------------

Oh, Harry.... sucks for you 😄 

Word Count: 963