⁕ this doesn't change anything ⁕

Draco's POV

I watched Y/N from across the classroom. I watched her face and its different expressions. The way her nose scrunched up when she didn't understand something, or when her face looked mad even when she wasn't. Growing up in a family that despised anyone less than a pureblood made it hard to like a muggle-born. And this year, when I had finally accepted that I had developed a crush on Y/N, there came Potter. I hated him, always getting what he wanted. Being praised for being The Chosen One, when he himself didn't even have an explanation for how he had survived the Dark Lord. He had successfully taken the one thing I wanted. It's not like she'd go for me anyway, I had insulted her one too many times. But I just couldn't seem to express my feelings for her. They were confusing; a jumble of hatred and fondness that wouldn't go away, no matter how hard I tried. I felt as if I was being split in two. My family's expectations, or how I truly wanted to be. 

I already knew that Y/N would be going to the Yule Ball with Potter, but that made no difference to me. I had to tell her how I felt, even if it made her hate me more. When Professor Snape had dismissed us, leaving the room himself, I decided that I would tell her here and now. I had to get it over with. Slytherin and Ravenclaw students alike slowly left the room, leaving only her and me in the room. She knew I was there too. And I could see her tense up as I stood up from my seat.  

I walked to Y/N, swallowing any kind of insult that I'd use to protect myself from embarrassment. 

"Y/N." I said as she glanced at me, sighing through her nose.

"Hello, Draco." She said coldly. 

I hated myself for the last time we had been alone. Calling her a mudblood was my only response to situations that made me feel even mildly uncomfortable, but it was inexcusable. I deserved the slap she had given me. But it wasn't good that I had thoroughly enjoyed the small distance between us during the interaction. 

"I need to talk to you." I said, watching her pack up her books and quill. 

"I don't want to talk to you." She grumbled, jumping down from her stool and walking out of the classroom. 

"It's important."

"Nothing you have to say to me is that important." 

"Yes. It is." I said before grabbing her hand. She let out a yelp and pulled away but I kept a firm grip on her. 

"What, then." She said, narrowing her eyes. She looked so pretty all bothered, but I pushed the thought aside and said, 

"I'm sorry."

"Draco- wait what?"

"I'm sorry about what happened. A couple of weeks ago. I was acting stupid and didn't know how to tell you..."

"Tell me what." She said, her face still giving me the death glare.

"That I like you," I said, staring straight into her eyes. I could hear my heart racing in my ears. This was a bloody mistake. 

"Well, I'm sorry but, I really don't feel the same way. You've been such an arse to me- to everybody." She said, her voice rising.

"I know, but everything I said to you. It doesn't mean anything." I claimed, releasing my tight grip on her wrist just a bit.

"It still hurt. And this," She motioned to me, "doesn't change anything." yanking her hand from mine, she stalked down the halls, leaving me to regret saying anything to her at all. When she was out of sight I cursed, punching my hand against the stone wall. It left cuts on my knuckles and I stared at the blood as it pooled up on the top of my hand. It didn't feel like anything compared to what I felt inside. But I couldn't let her go so easily, I didn't work that way. I needed her. And I would have her. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Honestly, I don't even know how I  feel about Draco right now. But I guess I'll have to see what happens as I continue to write. ;)

Word Count: 705