⁕ the black lake ⁕

Y/N POV

I took my time walking back to the Ravenclaw common room; it was late at night, but my mind was still racing. The four of us had yet to find a solution to Harry's breathing underwater problem. He had suggested that I go to bed, as me falling asleep on top of the books wouldn't be much of a help. I had smacked his head with a book before kissing and then leaving.

 The sound of my shoes hitting the stone floor was all I could hear as I headed back to Ravenclaw tower, and I chided myself for letting my fears get the best of me. Hogwarts was a bit scary at night with its dimly lit torches and dark shadowy corners. It wasn't that I was afraid of the dark; I was scared of what I'd find in it. Pretty stupid, I told myself. There was practically nobody awake at this hour besides Filch and Mrs. Norris, who constantly prowled the castle, waiting for unsuspecting 1st or 2nd years to hand detentions too. 

I was almost at the entrance to the tower when I felt a hand grasp my shoulder. I almost let out a scream before turning around and seeing Professor McGonagall. I sighed, relieved. 

"So sorry for giving you a fright, Y/N." she said nicely. I just let out a small breath and smiled. 

"I'd like for you to come to my office for a moment." she asked, leading me back down the hall. Confused, I asked, "Did I do something wrong?"

"Oh, quite the opposite. In fact, I need you to do something for me." She said a bit secretively. Still confused, I made my way into her office, sitting down in one of the velvet chairs across from her desk. 

"Just wait here a few moments, dear. I need to go find Weasley and Miss Granger." McGonagall said to me, moving her way back out the door. I turned in my seat and said, 

"They're in the library with Harry." 

"Oh, thank you. I'll just go fetch them." She went back out the door, closing it behind her. I looked around the room, my eyes catching on all the portraits and knickknacks that adorned her desk. A small mirror sat near a window and I stared at my reflection in it for a moment before twisting my head back to the doorway, hearing it open again. 

Then walked in Ron and Hermione. They sat down on a couch opposite of me. I whispered to them, "Do you know what's going on?" 

"No." said Hermione. Ron just shrugged his shoulders. A moment later, Professor McGonagall and Professor Dumbledore walked in. I gave a look to the pair sitting across from me and they scrunched their faces up in confusion. 

"I'm sure you three are wondering why I've called you into my office." said, McGonagall, sitting down at her desk and facing the group of us. I nodded. 

"Well, as we all know, the second Triwizard Tournament is tomorrow. And again, you all must know already that it is taking place at the Black Lake. Now, we need two of you to participate." Explained Dumbledore. 

"But, sir, why do you need us?" I asked. 

"The champions are supposed to look for an item that they have lost. I think you now know what that item is supposed to be." he answered. 

"So we're going to be in the lake?" Ron exclaimed. 

"Well, two of you. You see we've had difficulty deciding who we need for Mr. Potter. It would be either you Y/N or Mr. Weasley." said McGonagall, facing me. 

"Oh." I said, looking at Ron. His eyes wide. 

"And me?" asked Hermione. 

"Not to pry into your personal life," said Dumbledore with a small smile in her direction, "but, we saw it fit for you to be Mr. Krum's partner for this task." Hermione reddened and Ron shifted in his seat. 

"Now, for the two of you," McGonagall started, nodding to me and Ron, "if one of you'd like to volunteer, then this would be a bit easier on us." Neither of us looked particularly thrilled to be thrown in the cold waters of the Black Lake but I mustered a bit of courage and said, "I'll do it." 

"Are you sure Y/N." Ron asked. I could tell he was a bit more relieved, but I knew he would still do anything for Harry, especially if it meant keeping me and Hermione safer. 

"Yeah. It won't be that bad. Right?" I said, facing the two professors. 

"I will simply put a charm over you two girls and you will remain unconscious throughout the task until your champion retrieves you." said Dumbledore calmly. 

Alright. Didn't seem so bad, I thought to myself. How hard could doing nothing actually be? I nodded again and agreed to participate. 

"It's settled then. Mr. Weasley, don't tell Mr. Potter about this. You're free to go back to your dorm." said McGonagall, dismissing Ron. He gave me and Hermione an encouraging look before heading out of her office. 

Dumbledore asked us to stand and we stood side by side, waiting for the charm to be performed. I closed my eyes in anticipation, waiting for some sort of cold feeling or weird effect; but nothing happened. I opened one eye and for a split second saw Hermione, slightly floating above the ground, her face blank and eyes closed. I went to say something, but before I could get the chance, my eyes closed and everything went dark. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Word Count: 930