⁕ ear to ear ⁕

Hermione and I exited the shop with our dresses, beaming ear to ear. I hadn't felt this happy in months, and the realization that I would go back to Hogwarts in just a week got my adrenaline rushing. I had showed my mother the gown in the shop before buying it. She had loved its tulle skirt and the sparkles that glittered through the entire bodice. 

Again, I wondered where Harry and Ron were. I still hadn't seen them all summer, and I was desperate to catch up with everything that had happened. 

"Hermione?" 

"Yeah, y/n." 

"Are Ron and Harry here today?" I asked. 

"Oh, yes they are, I left them at Quality Quidditch Supplies. I suppose to you want to see them now, sorry for not saying that earlier." She replied. 

"It's okay, I'm gonna go meet up with them. Do you want to come with?" I asked. 

"Actually I've got to go back. My parents must be having the most awkward time ever. You know." She laughed. 

"Totally. I'll see you on the platform next week!" I hollered and we both walked in different directions. 

I couldn't wait to hug the two boys. I hadn't seen them since last year when Sirius Black, Harry's Godfather had escaped from Azkaban. The Dementors had made the school feel so dark, but nevertheless, I still had a semi-perfect school year. 

Quidditch... hmm. I thought to myself as I saw the shop getting closer. Maybe I would try out for the Ravenclaw team this year. In the muggle world, I had a love for volleyball, but here in the Wizarding World, it isn't a well-known sport. I all about the sport from Harry. He's the seeker for the Gryffindor team and has helped them win the Quidditch Cup last year. He and Ron had always told me that I should go and try out but I was too scared. Maybe I would this year. 

I pushed the door of Quality Quidditch Supplies open and heard the bell ring on the door. Standing near the different broomsticks lined up on the left wall, I saw Harry and Ron. Of course, I couldn't miss Ron's bright firey red hair.  

I decided to play a little prank on the two boys before formally saying hi. I turned my back to face them and in a deeper voice scoffed and said, "My father will hear about this." 

I heard a groan and then, "Malfoy do you not-". I turned around before Harry could finish his sentence and gave them a grin. 

"Y/N! Bloody hell you sounded just like Malfoy." Ron said. He was closer to me and gave me a bear hug. 

"Hi, Ron! Hey Harry." I said as he let go of me. Harry opened his arms and we hugged. My head rested underneath his chin. He had gotten way taller over the summer. I rolled my eyes. It was evident that I would be the shortest friend. 

I stepped back to look at the two. They had BOTH gotten taller. I groaned, knowing that the short friend jokes would ensue this year. 

"How's your summer been y/n?" Harry asked, leaning on the wall. 

"Boring, the occasional tumbleweed brightened my day." I joked with him. 

"Well at least you didn't almost die." Piped in Ron. 

"Was everyone okay?" I asked.

"Yeah, everyone was just scared," Ron said. 

"Let's not talk about it," I said, "we can worry about dark forces later. Do you have any idea why we had to buy dress robes?" 

"No idea." said Harry. 

"Just wait, my mum is gonna end up sending me the ugliest dress robe ever." Ron moaned. 

"Wanna bet on ruffles," I whispered to Harry. 

"5 galleons?" He said back. 

"Bet." I said, giving him a subtle high five. When our fingers touched, I blushed. 

Um, y/n why is your face hot. I thought to myself. It was normal for me and Harry to touch each other. We were friends. We hugged and high fived and even sat on each other all the time. The only difference was how much taller he got....or how his hair had started to grow out; shaping his face....and the green of his eye looked like the forest trees - 

WOAH THERE WHAT ARE YOU THINKING. She shook her head and closed her eyes. This was all just because she missed him over the summer. Right? 

"Um, anyway I've got to go now. My mom's probably waiting for me. " I said hurriedly. 

Ron and Harry looked at me weirdly and said their goodbyes as I speed-walked out of the shop. 

"That was something else.." I whispered under my breath. I saw my mom in a crowd of people and we left Diagon Alley. I needed to get home and take a nap. Perhaps it was all just excitement. I leaned my head on the side of the car window and closed my eyes. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(I'm really trying to make this a slow burn but a part of me wants to go full "I LOVE HARRY" on this. Chile- thank you for reading 😌)