⁕ cruciatus ⁕

(No song for this one, sorries) 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

I stood outside the door of the Defense Against the Dark Arts classroom. I was still shaking from the one-on-one situation with Draco. Usually, I have Hermione and the boys with me to help me defend myself, but this was entirely different. I sat down next to Harry and put my head down on the desk waiting for Professor Moody, or more commonly nicknamed Mad-Eye Moody. 

Harry turned his face to mine, "What's the matter y/n?" I shook my head and said, "I'll tell you later."

He turned back to the blackboard at the front of the class. Then we heard and saw him walk in. Mad Eyed Moody. He stepped to the board and grabbed a piece of chalk. Then he wrote in great sprawling words, "Unforgivable Curses". 

"Does anybody know the names of these three unforgivable curses?" He asked. Everybody stayed silent. Hermione slowly raised her hand. 

"Granger." He said, facing Hermione. 

"They are named because they are unforgivable. The use of any one of them would earn you-"

"A one way ticket to Azkaban." Moody finished. "Now, the minister thinks you are too young to see what these curses do. I say different. You need to know what you are up against, you need to be prepared." 

Everybody in the classroom seemed to be holding their breath. Was he going to use the curses? And on what? 

"Weasley!" He yelled, "Stand up." 

I looked at Ron, who was sitting on the other side of Harry. He slowly stood up. 

Moody asked, "Do you know any of the curses." 

Ron replied, "Um, one. My mum told me about it. The imperius curse."

"Ah,  your father would know about that. It caused the ministry a bit of grief a few years ago. Perhaps this will show you why." He walked to the desk sitting in front of the blackboard and opened a glass jar that held a giagantic spider. I recoiled. I hated spiders. Ron did too, and he also leaned back as Moody brought the spider closer to him. He levitated the spider around the classroom, making it drop on different peoples heads or hands. They all laughed until it was them. Then he dropped it on Ron. His face turned into The Scream by Edvard Munch and even my eyes widened as is crawled over his red hair. Suddenly, the spider flew into the window. Everyone stopped laughing. 

Then it dropped down to a water bucket below. 

"Should I make her drown herself?" Everyone was silent, "You see, most of the dark lords followers claimed they were under the influence of the imperius curse, but there comes the tricky part. How do we sort out the liars? 

Neville Longbottom raised his hand and spoke, "The cruciatus curse." 

"Correct." Moody said. I watched him walk Neville over to the front of the classroom. "The torture curse....crucio!" He said, pointing at the spider. It writhed in pain, a small sound emitting from it. I grimanced and turned away. Neville looked as if he was going to cry. I couldn't blame him. Then Hermione yelled, "Stop it! Can't you see its bothering him! Stop it!" 

Neville had his eyes closed and was breathing heavily. Moody stopped, his face going from concentrated to realization. 

"You can sit down now, Longbottom." He said quietly. Neville walked back, his head down. I felt horrible. I had heard about how his parents were tortured using the same curse. Then Moody stood in front of Hermione. 

"Would you like to give us the last curse, Miss Granger?" She shook her head. He walked back to the desk, setting the spider down. I knew the last curse. Everybody knew it. We held our breaths. Then he said, "Avada Kedavra!" The green light illuminating through the room. Harry flinched and I moved my hand to where his was dangling. I locked pinkies with him. He had this look in his eyes that I couldn't quite figure out. He stared at the spider. Then Moody spoke again.

"There is only one person know to have survived it. And he's sitting in this room." He walked towards Harry, looking down at him. I let go of his hand. Harry looked up towards Moody as he took a swing of a mysterious looking drink. It seemed as if time had stopped. 

"Class dismissed." He yelled. Everyone took their time leaving, it had seemed as if today's lesson had shooken up everybody. I walked towards Neville who was being comforted by Hermione. 

"I'm sorry Neville." I whispered. His eyes shined but he didn't cry. "Thank you, y/n." He said before leaving the classroom. I turned towards Hermione, "Today isn't how I expected it to go." I said. My mood had seriously gone down since I first woke up. 

"That was absoutely horrible. He should have never used those curses. And in front of Neville-." She started. 

"I couldn't stand it either. The way he could manipulate the spider was," I shivered, "disturbing. Let's get going." I locked arms with her and left the classroom. I couldn't wait till the end of the day. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Why I made these last two chapters not happy, I will never know. 😶