Wanna Be Yours

Jayce sprinted as fast as she could, her footsteps echoing through the quiet corridor.

The heavy oak door to the Apparition classroom loomed ahead, and she could hear the muffled sounds of the lesson already in progress.

"Ms. Selwyn, you're late," Professor Wilkie Twycross, the Apparition instructor, stated as Jayce hurriedly entered the classroom.

"My bad, I was... helping Professor Slughorn," Jayce lied smoothly, not wanting to endure Twycross's lecture on the importance of punctuality.

Besides, she was Slughorn's favorite, so she was confident he wouldn't mind her tardiness.

"Very well. Make sure it doesn't happen again," Professor Twycross said, adjusting his glasses before turning to face the rest of the class. The other door to the classroom burst open, revealing a dark-haired boy in a hurry. "Another late student? Mr. Black, your friends are clearly here on time, and I'm sure you can do the same as well," the professor scowled at the late arrivals.

"Sorry. I was..." Sirius trailed off, glancing at Jayce for assistance. She subtly motioned as if stirring a cauldron, a clever reference to Potions. "I was helping Professor Slughorn."

It was the least she could do for what he had done for her last night.

She might not be his friend, but she considered herself a decent person. For the most part.

"Both of you?" Twycross raised his eyebrows. "Yeah, you know, being star students in Potions," Sirius chuckled, making his way to the empty seat next to James.

"It won't happen again, Professor," Jayce added, taking a seat next to Marlene, who shot her a curious look, sensing that something unusual was happening between Jayce and Sirius.

"Of course it won't. Or else, I'm going to have to start taking away points," the professor threatened as he took out a large book. "Moving on! For the past few weeks, we've been working on taking notes and studying Apparition. But, we've never actually tried it." Twycross clapped his hands together excitedly. "However, Headmaster Dumbledore has given me permission to let you guys actually Apparate! He removed the charm that prevents Apparition for this class."

Jayce and Marlene exchanged wide-eyed glances. Apparition inside Hogwarts? This was entirely new information.

"Right now, I want everyone to pair up with people from different Houses before I give any further information," Twycross announced.

Immediately, Jayce looked at Marlene, but a Ravenclaw girl (Dorcas?) was already pulling her away.

"Sorry, Jayce. We'll be partners next time!" Marlene called back, apologetic.

"No worries. I'll just find someone better," Jayce teased before deciding to approach none other than James Potter.

The others were either already partnered up or feared the Slytherin, so she didn't have a lot of options.

"Selywn, you've got a partner?" Sirius intercepted, towering over her as students scrambled to find partners.

Jayce was about to affirm when her gaze caught James, who was already heading to a table with a Hufflepuff boy.

"No. Wanna be mine?" Jayce looked up, finding Sirius grinning down at her.

"Yours?" Sirius winked.

"My partner," Jayce corrected, playfully rolling her eyes.

"Okay, partner. Let's head over to James's table," Sirius suggested, leading the way with Jayce following.

"Sirius and... Selwyn?" James shot the two of them an amused grin once they sat down. "Didn't know you were on good terms."