I'm In Love With Your Best Friend

James had been real quiet.

'I started studying for the NEWTs' he had told Remus.

'I'm trying to create a plan to win against Hufflepuff' he had told Jayce.

Everyone had assumed that James was just stressed due to what McGonagall had told them or that the head boy duties were more than what he had expected, but still, James wasn't the type of person to bottle his emotions up.

And Jayce knew that.

Jayce had noticed a subtle change in James's demeanor over the past few days. His usually infectious laughter was replaced by a somber silence that hung in the air like a heavy cloud. Concerned for her friend, Jayce couldn't shake off the feeling that something deeper was bothering him.

Which is why she had him cornered in his own dormitory right now.

"Jayce, we're going to be late for lunch."

"Not if we just be honest with each other and get it over with."

"Jayce, can we not do this right now?"

"We've put this off for almost a week, Potter."

"What if someone walks in?"

"I know everyone's schedules. No one's going to walk in."

"Please, Jayce-"

"I'm only doing this because I care for you. You've done it for me multiple times." She crossed her arms.

The air in the room grew heavier as Jayce's words hung between them.

The urgency of the impending conversation mingled with an unspoken emotional tension.

James, visibly uneasy, glanced around the room as if searching for an escape from the inevitable. "Jayce, it's not that simple," James whispered, his voice strained.

The weight of unsaid emotions pressed down on him, making it difficult to maintain eye contact.

Jayce softened her gaze, her determination tempered with empathy.

"James, we can't keep avoiding this. It's affecting both of us. We need to address it."

As the seconds ticked by, a silent plea echoed in James's eyes. The vulnerability beneath his confident exterior surfaced, revealing the internal struggle he grappled with.

Jayce, sensing his turmoil, took a step closer, breaking down the emotional barrier that had kept them at arm's length.

"I care about you, James. And I've seen you carry this burden alone for too long," Jayce confessed, her voice tinged with genuine concern. "We're friends, and friends help each other through tough times. You don't have to face it all by yourself."

James's shoulders slumped, the weight on his chest lifting as he felt the sincerity in Jayce's words.

The room seemed to shrink, closing in on the shared vulnerability that had enveloped them.

In that moment, the unspoken understanding between them became a lifeline, connecting their hearts in a way words alone couldn't express.

Honestly, he felt a little guilty. It wasn't really... that deep.

"I'll tell you when the time's ready."

But, James Potter was known for putting his friends' problems before his. He liked pushing his problems away like they didn't matter because unlike his friends, he had a good life. So, he shouldn't really be complaining, right?