Bryce's Lies

Jayce was a terrible friend.

Kylian was out there, risking his life to catch a cockatrice just so he could have respect for his name, and Jayce had just woken up.

She sprinted through the empty halls.

Everyone was already by the Forbidden Forest, of which a portion had been carefully handled and cleaned for the first event to take place in.

Her friends, who weren't even that close with Kylian, were probably already there, cheering him on.

She knew Kylian probably wouldn't be looking around to see if she was there, but it was the thought and the action that mattered.

Kylian expected her to be there. And she wanted to be one of the first spectators, but she sucked at time management. Especially when Sirius Black offered her a ride on his motorcycle last night, she couldn't say no and fucked her sleep schedule up even more.

Fuck, Jayce was a really shitty friend.

As she ran through the halls, expecting not to see a single soul in sight, she spotted a familiar brunette in the corner of her eye.

She wasn't planning on stopping, but the person's familiar physique made her freeze in her tracks as she realized who it was.

It was like destiny itself didn't want her to see Kylian's first task.

"Bryce?"

Bryce turned around, surprised to see Jayce standing just a few feet away from him.

"Jayce? Shouldn't you be watching the tournament?" Bryce asked, slowly making his way over to the girl.

"I was on my way and then I saw you," Jayce said. "Is everything okay in the future?"

Bryce winced.

"It's... not really the future, remember." Bryce reminded her. "It's a parallel universe."

"But, you guys are in the future, yes?" Jayce raised an eyebrow.

"Yeah." Bryce nodded. "It's complicated."

"Well, you can explain on our way to the first task-"

"No, no." Bryce quickly declined. "I have to leave, Jayce."

"I'm sure a few more minutes wouldn't-"

"This is my last time visiting your world."

Jayce's smile faltered as she took in Bryce's words.

He always said that, but this time, it felt too real.

"What do you mean?"

"Our world has gone to war like we predicted." Bryce sighed. "We don't have the time to come here to prevent it from happening in your world."

"So, you can't visit again?"

"No."

"Why not? You still have the time machine and-"

"We have to destroy it, Jayce," Bryce said. "Now that we're done using it, it's no longer needed. And we need to destroy it before people misuse it. Before our war becomes yours."

Jayce understood where Bryce was coming from, but it felt really unfair.

"It's that bad, huh?" Jayce looked down at her feet.

"I'm sorry." Bryce grimaced, not enjoying the fact that Jayce was upset because of him. "But, it's the only way."

"I understand." Jayce shrugged. "You'll be safe, yeah?"