Horcrux Hunt

1996

Harry James Potter

He was the Triwizard Tournament champion, and yet, he lost Cedric Diggory and Riddle returned.

He was nothing but a fifteen-year-old boy when Dumbledore escaped and got replaced by Umbridge, who punished him in ways he had never imagined he could be.

He was nothing but a fifteen-year-old boy when he almost lost his godfather to Bellatrix Lestrange.

And when Dumbledore returned and asked him to accompany him, looking for the only things that separated him from his godmother, he was only fifteen.

He was a sixth-year student now.

He was sixteen.

And when he sat down with Hermione Granger and Ron Weasley in complete silence, he knew something was off.

"So, Dumbledore knows about the Horcruxes," Hermione spoke, her voice hushed.

"What he doesn't know is that they're being recovered and destroyed right now," Harry responded, running a hand through his overgrown hair.

"I don't understand, why can't your godparents just join the new Order-"

"Look where that got my parents, Ron." Harry reminded him. "My parents, Marlene McKinnon, Mary Macdonald, Frank's parents, Dorcas Meadowes– they all died fighting for the Order."

"It won't be long before Dumbledore finds out about what's going on," Ron said.

"He's going to find out something's wrong the moment he realizes the Horcruxes are gone," Hermione warned. "Have you been able to contact–"

The door swung open and Hermione quickly shut her mouth.

"Do you realize just how loud you guys are?"

Everyone relaxed upon seeing Ginny standing at the door.

"Were they able to hear us?"

"No." She shook her head, closing the door behind her as she entered the room. "Fred and George are downstairs, I could-"

"No." Harry quickly shut it down. "It'd be dangerous to let more people know."

Talking about the Horcrux Hunt while the members of the Order of the Phoenix were right downstairs wasn't the brightest idea.

"And they're in the Order too," Hermione said.

"But, so are we," Ron grunted. "In fact, we helped form the new one last year, just wait until Jayce finds out about–"

"I've been writing to her," Harry revealed. "Remus, Regulus, Jayce– they've split up."

"Obviously." Ginny rolled her eyes.

"Do you think we could do anything to help this year?" Ron asked. "I mean, I know Jayce, Remus, and Regulus are busy."

"Sirius has been going out quite often too," Harry added. "I think he looked at every book in the library back at the estate."

"Impressive." Hermione raised an eyebrow.

"I doubt you guys could do anything to help." Ginny put her two cents in. "I mean, school's starting soon, we're gonna have classes, and soon enough, we have to leave to catch a good compartment."

He tapped Ginny on the shoulder. "Fancy trying to find a compartment?"

"I can't, Harry, I said I'd meet Dean," Ginny said brightly.