Romances And Responsibilities

1994

The soft morning light streamed through the curtains, gently waking Sirius Black. As he slowly opened his eyes, he found himself on a comfortable sofa in the warm living room of the Selwyn Estate.

Beside him lay Jayce, their fingers intertwined, and a familiar mop of messy black hair peeking out from the blanket that covered Harry, who had been joining them more after his friends went back to their respective families before the new semester started.

Sirius thanked whatever supernatural entity was watching over him because if he hadn't woken up first, this would've ended within a matter of moments.

The one drunken night in the kitchen led to many more. Sober more than not.

More often than not, the conversations would stretch into the early hours of the morning, the fire in the hearth casting a warm glow on their faces.

The conversations would be simple exchanges of stories, catching up, and sharing things the others didn't know. They weren't necessarily conversations that would be considered as deep, but to Sirius, they meant the world.

As the clock struck the early hours, fatigue would finally catch up with them, and one by one, they'd succumb to the soothing embrace of sleep.

Sirius, often the first to wake, would look upon the scene with a mixture of fondness and trepidation. Carefully disentangling himself, he'd leave the room, making his way to the kitchen, where he'd prepare a simple breakfast to greet the dawn.

It became a routine— Sirius leaving before Jayce and Harry awoke, ensuring that the delicate balance of their newfound companionship remained undisturbed. In the hushed morning light, he'd smile to himself, grateful for the nights that mended what time had torn apart.

Because he didn't know Jayce would react to waking up to their hands intertwined.

Maybe it was selfish, or maybe he had a right to these moments after all those horrendous years at Azkaban.

He couldn't remember the last time he felt so peaceful with her by his side. Most of his recent memories consisted of their time together in the war, where he anxiously waited to make sure she was still alive and breathing.

And now, he was finally at temperate peace, but she wasn't his now.

When she revealed to him that she wasn't seeing anyone, he felt ecstatic, but it soon died down as soon as she pretended like she didn't say anything the next day.

"I need you."

Jayce closed her eyes in frustration, not knowing what to say to Sirius to get him to see just how unreasonable he was being.

"Remember when we were still in school?" She suddenly brought up. "We planned on fighting side by side. Where did all that spirit go now? Why are you so adamant about me staying out of the fight that we promised to fight together?"

"Because I didn't fucking expect to stay up every single fucking night wondering if you were still alive or not." Sirius snapped. "This isn't a winning war, Jayce. If I had known that you would've been sent away to stay with the enemy and risk your life, I wouldn't have gotten your hopes up high about a false reality."

It did not work.

"What do you want me to do, Sirius?" Jayce winced.

"Leave. Just say the word and I'll get you out of-"

"You're selfish." She repeated her earlier words. "Did you not think that I care about your safety as well?"

Sirius rolled his eyes.