Mischief Unmanaged

Jayce has been in the Gryffindor common room many times.

But, she never thought she'd be standing in front of the singing portrait, guessing the passcode to be let in.

Usually, Sirius or Remus would be there to help her sneak in, but desperate times called for desperate measures.

"Is it chivalry?" Jayce guessed another word.

The portrait shook its head, looking as uninterested as ever.

Jayce fumed, feeling frustrated because she was dumb enough to not listen to her Gryffindor friends whenever they said the password.

"Are you... trying to get in?"

An actual angel.

Jayce turned around and spotted Mary Macdonald, watching her intently.

"I- yeah, I just never paid attention to what the passcode was when the boys would sneak me in." Jayce awkwardly explained.

"Babbling baboons."

The door swung open and the two girls quickly snuck in.

"What a weird password." Jayce chuckled. "Thank you, by the way."

"Don't mention it." Mary grinned. "You here for Marls, I'm guessing?"

"Yeah, she's in her room, right?"

"For a while, yeah," Mary said. "Hopefully you can convince her to do something fun."

"Hopefully." Jayce nodded. "You got any plans?"

"Going out with Lily for a bit," Mary said. "Wanted to clear our head from all the studying."

"Smart idea. Tell her I said hi." Jayce said.

"You got it. Good luck with Marls." Mary said, waving goodbye.

Yeah, Jayce definitely needed luck.

Finding her way to the girls' dormitories wasn't hard. The boys weren't the only ones that helped Jayce sneak in before.

Within minutes, Jayce found herself in front of Marlene's door.

Inhaling sharply, she opened the door and found Marlene cleaning up her room a bit.

"Hey."

Marlene turned to face Jayce with wide eyes, not expecting her.

"Jayce? How'd you get in?"

"Mary." Jayce grinned, closing the door behind her.

"Like the angel she is." Marlene managed to chuckle.

"How are you doing?" Jayce asked.

Marlene hadn't been showing up to any classes and her friends only ever saw her eat meals with them like once a day. The other times, either Mary or Lily would bring food to their dorm.

"Better." Marlene shrugged. "You guys are doing everything to help me and I really appreciate it."

It was true. Lily and Mary made sure Marlene was eating on time, the Marauders got her homework done, and Dorcas made sure she was never alone.

"I don't expect you to be all giddy like nothing happened, so feeling down is normal," Jayce told her.

"I know." Marlene nodded. "I've just been trying to distract myself so I don't think about what happened."

"You could rely on your friends for that, we're pretty good at coming up with distracting shit."

"Oh, I know that." Marlene chuckled. "It's weird, I wanna distract myself, but I also wanna be alone, you know."