EnGAGement

Jayce stepped off the carriage and faced the imposing facade of the Selwyn mansion. Despite its grandeur, the memories of her childhood playing with the Black sisters softened her expression as she smiled at the familiar sight.

"Lady Selwyn, please let me take your luggage," the Selwyn butler, Sebastian, offered, rushing to her side upon seeing her descent.

"Of course. Take them up to my room for me," Jayce instructed, turning to face the middle-aged man.

"Yes, m'lady," Sebastian bowed. "And welcome back."

"Thank you," Jayce replied with a slight smile, walking alongside him as they entered the manor.

Growing up, Jayce was lucky to say that she had maintained a great relationship with the staff of the household. While her parents were mostly busy with business and all sorts of events like that, her upbringing mainly consisted of her caretakers and a lot of pampering.

Unlike the other Pureblood supremacist children, Jayce was rather friendly with her staff because they had helped her grow up without the presence of her parents, which her parents surprisingly understood. While her relationship with the staff was at most cordial and formal, she would most definitely count them as family.

The sudden summons from her parents had left even the butler perplexed. Once inside, Sebastian promptly headed upstairs to stow Jayce's luggage.

In the meantime, she proceeded to the living room, the customary location of her parents.

"Mum. Dad," Jayce greeted her mother as she stepped into the spacious room, both parents turning their attention to her.

"Ah, Jayce," her mother welcomed, standing up with open arms, embracing her heir before guiding her to sit next to her father.

"I hope the trip back home was safe?" Jayce's father inquired.

"Yes, it was," Jayce replied, her impatience subtly surfacing. "What was the reason for bringing me here in the middle of the school year?"

Her parents exchanged glances, a silent communication passing between them.

"We'll talk about that later. Why don't you get some rest?" her mother suggested. "You did travel all night."

"I slept in the carriage, so I'm more than awake," Jayce stated with a hint of boredom. "And with all due respect, I have a Quidditch team to lead, so I'd be very grateful if you could hurry this up."

"We got you something, dear," her mother interjected, her tone unnaturally sweet as she reached behind her chair. "Thought you'd need this."

"The Firebolt Supreme?" Jayce's eyes lit up as she took the broom into her hands. "Wow, thanks."

"Anything for you, dear," her mother responded, pleased with Jayce's reaction.

"I'll definitely use it this new season, now that I'm captain," Jayce mused, examining the latest broom. However, she quickly refocused on her parents, placing the Firebolt Supreme aside. "You called me here just to give me a Firebolt Supreme?"

Amidst the opulence of the Selwyn mansion, there existed a notable divergence from the traditional norms that often dictated the lives of pureblood families. Unlike many of their counterparts, the Selwyns refrained from adhering to the deeply ingrained sexist ideologies prevalent within the wizarding world.

In households where daughters were often regarded as little more than assets waiting to be married off and vessels for producing heirs, the Selwyns defied these expectations.

Within the hallowed halls of the Selwyn Manor, the patriarch and matriarch saw beyond gender stereotypes, recognizing the capabilities and potential of their daughter, Jayce. Rather than relegating her to a predetermined role of wife and mother, they entrusted her with the weighty responsibilities of the family fortune and the continuation of their prestigious lineage.