Cutting Ties

Jayce groaned for the millionth time, extricating herself from the comfort of her bed.

She cast a scowl in Pandora's direction, who seemed unfazed by Jayce's evident displeasure.

"I'm not going to go see him, Pan," Jayce declared, arms crossed.

"I'm not forcing you to!" Pandora shrugged casually.

"Then tell him to leave," Jayce retorted, her eyes narrowing.

"I can't," Pandora grimaced. "I've tried and tried, but he insisted on staying there."

Exasperated, Jayce huffed, "Well, somebody better tell him to leave. I'm not going to go see him."

The situation unfolded when, the previous night, Jayce spotted Evan waiting for her outside the common room.

Unwilling to engage, she ignored his pleas and headed straight to her dorm. However, to her dismay, Evan had persistently lingered in the common room throughout the night, awaiting a chance to explain his actions.

"Jayce, he's been out there for the entire night. Just listen to him and get it over with," Pandora pleaded.

"It's not that easy, Pan!" Jayce exclaimed as she stood up. "I don't want to see him ever again! You were the first one that cheered for me when I stated that I was going to cut all ties with him!"

"I'm not asking you to forgive him, Jayce. Just go hear him out so he can leave, and we don't have to stay locked up in our dorm," Pandora reasoned.

Reluctantly, Jayce agreed, "Fine. We're going to have to leave to attend classes anyway; we're bound to see him one way or another."

"That's the spirit," Pandora replied, lacking enthusiasm.

As Jayce and Pandora exited the dorm, they entered the common room where Evan stood waiting.

"He's gonna be there," Pandora whispered to Jayce.

"I know," Jayce groaned.

"Make it quick," Pandora whispered again as Evan eagerly approached them.

"Jayce! Thank Salazar! I knew you'd come!" Evan exclaimed, relieved.

"Yeah, I happen to have classes," Jayce responded dryly.

"Please, Jayce. I just have to—"

"She's here to talk, not listen," Pandora interjected, crossing her arms.

"No—"

"Rosier, let's end this here," Jayce said firmly, causing Evan's shoulders to slump. "Clearly, we don't see eye to eye on this whole thing about Blood Purity, which shouldn't exist in the first place." While Jayce observed Evan's disheveled appearance, her words continued to chip away at his facade. "But, I know that's not what you're here for. You want to apologize to me for leaving me in the dust the other day. And since you listened to me talk, I'm willing to listen to you talk as well," Jayce concluded, prompting an alarmed expression from Pandora.

"I— Jayce, those guys, they're really powerful. They can do anything. I didn't want to interfere, but I should've. And I'm sorry. I'm really—"

"Okay," Jayce interrupted, cutting him off.

"You forgive me?" Evan's eyes sparkled with hope.

"No," Jayce scoffed, dashing his hopes. "I said I would listen to you. I didn't say I would forgive you."

"But—"

"I said what I needed to say," Jayce stated coldly. "You were scared of those guys and left? Some friend you are. I don't plan on being involved with you anymore. And if you do stupid things like waiting outside my dorm for me, then I won't hesitate to hex you."