Mischief Managed

1977

"I've got you, Alice."

Lily cradled a sobbing Alice in her arms, whose red face was stained with glass-like tears.

Mary leaned against one of the many pillars of the Astronomy tower, blankly watching Lily comfort Alice.

"I'm sure it's nothing." Mary coughed, trying to be the sole voice of reason, but Alice paid her no heed, burying her head in Lily's shoulder.

Lily shot Mary a look, shaking her head warningly.

Alice was emotional and she needed to let her thoughts out–

Laughter echoed up the Astronomy tower and Mary rolled her eyes.

James, Marlene, and Jayce climbed the stairs to the Astronomy Tower with boundless energy, laughter bubbling between them as they shared whispers about the prank they had just pulled on a couple of unsuspecting fifth years.

Their steps echoed in the quiet tower, a stark contrast to the emotional scene awaiting them.

As they reached the top, the trio's exuberance waned.

The atmosphere in the tower felt heavy, and they were met with the sight of Lily comforting Alice, who appeared distraught. Mary, leaning against a pillar, wore a concerned expression.

Marlene's eyes narrowed with realization, and she exchanged a somber glance with Jayce and James. They fell into a contemplative silence, their joy dampened by the evident distress of their friends.

James cleared his throat, shifting uncomfortably. "What's going on here?"

Lily looked up, her expression pained. "Alice and Frank broke up."

James and Jayce exchanged glances, eyebrows raised.

"But–" A look from Mary was enough to shut Marlene up.

"I'm sorry." James cleared his throat and said to Alice, hoping to make her feel better.

"It's alright, she just needs to let this all out and she'll be okay." Lily nodded at the boy with pursed lips.

At this point, it all just felt like a routine.

More footsteps were heard going up the stairs and both Lily and Mary turned to the other three with raised eyebrows.

When James gestured for them that it was nothing and Peter, Sirius, and Remus sauntered in, their laughter echoing through the otherwise somber atmosphere, Lily knew why.

Their eyes were alight with the remnants of shared mischief from the prank they had helped orchestrate with Marlene, Jayce, and James.

"You guys will not believe what we did–"

Remus's hand immediately closed Sirius's mouth.

Their jubilant demeanor faltered upon realizing the solemn mood that enveloped the group.

Peter was the first to notice, his laughter tapering off as he scanned the room. "What's happened?"

James, rubbing the back of his neck awkwardly, explained, "Alice and Frank broke up."

Sirius's eyes widened in surprise, and he exchanged a quick glance with Remus.

Marlene opened her mouth, perhaps ready to divert the conversation with a light comment, but a stern look from Mary silenced her.

Remus awkwardly cleared his throat and spoke gently, "We're sorry to hear that, Alice."

Alice offered a faint smile, appreciating the sentiment. "Thanks, Remus."