𝗲𝗶𝗴𝗵𝘁𝘆-𝗼𝗻𝗲

( chapter eighty-one )

THE TRAIN BEGAN TO MOVE UNDER their feet only moments after they had stepped onto it, meaning that they had luckily just made it on time.       

Cassie was quiet. Her eyes were casted downwards and she was chewing on her bottom lip quite a lot, causing small gaps that bled slightly to appear in the soft flesh, but she didn't stop chewing them even when the taste of blood filled her mouth.

Her cheek was still red, the imprint of a hand burning on her cheek as if Orion's hand was boiling-hot when he had slapped her. It throbbed, like a bad headache which took days to go away.

But it was nothing compare to the pain that she had been in before.

James kept tight hold of her hand, his thumb absentmindedly running over the back of it in a soft motion that left subtle tingles when he did so.

The front of his shirt was slightly soaked with tears, but he didn't care that the material was sticking to his skin, all he cared about was Cassie.

He looked down at her, a slight frown on his face and his eyebrows furrowed.

Even when Cassies head was facing the ground, he could see that her eyes were blinking rather hurriedly and that she was shaking her head, as if she was trying to remember something.

"Cass?" James asked, quickly moving out of the way as someone pushed past him.

His hand moved so that he was cupping her jaw, he softly forced her head up to face him.

Cassie's pupils were slightly dilated, and she didn't stop blinking for a short while, when she stopped and just stared up at James.

It was almost as if James could see wheels moving in Cassie's head, the way that she was staring at him with confusion etched on her face, the way she froze slightly under his touch but her hands had began to fidget by her sides - she was making a fist and then stretching out her fingers not long after.

"Potter?" Her voice was soft and quiet, but James could still hear the confusion in her tone.

His heart dropped slightly, but before he could say anything Cassie shook her head again, blinking rapidly and looking down at the ground for a moment.

She looked up again not even a second later, and her expression had changed.

She didn't look confused instead she was looking up at James with a small frown on her face, but you could see the love in her eyes as she looked up at him.

James was confused.

"Cass?" He repeated.

Cassie nodded and let out a soft sigh, her hand moving so that it was on top of James', he could feel how shaky her hands were as she did so.