𝗳𝗼𝗿𝘁𝘆-𝗳𝗶𝘃𝗲

( chapter )forty-fivetw: abuse

( chapter )
forty-five
tw: abuse

THE TAPPING OF TALONS ON GLASS caused the Blacks to look up from their breakfast and towards the window.

Two large owls were sat on the windowsill that was covered in moss and cracked paint. Their feathers as white as newly lain snow, their eyes as yellow as amber shining in the sun.

One was carrying two letters, and the other one only one. Cassie's eyes widened as she realised what was in one of the letters.

Her O.W.L. results.

Her heart began to drum loudly in her ears, her breathing speeding up as her mind focused on that letter and that letter only.

Oh shit.

She wasn't worried about her marks, no, she expected to do good in all her subjects, apart from Transfiguration if she was being honest. It was the lessons on that paper she was worried about.

"Get the mail Cassiopeia." Walburga spoke up, turning back to her plate of bacon, egg and beans.

Cassies head snapped towards her mother, and her mind began to race more and more.

With legs feeling like jelly, the girl stood up and walked over to the window, opening it and taking the letters off of the owls. Trying to quickly hide the one with her results behined her back, however her father saw.

"Bring all three letters here now Cassiopeia."

Cassie stared down at the letters , all three of them shaking quickly as she held them in her unsteady hands.

"I won't ask again." Orions voice was firm, and Cassie looked up at him beofre nodding, taking a deep breath as she stepped back towards the table.

Orion snatched the letters off his daughter, going through them all before he saw the one he wanted to open, throwing the other two down onto the table.

He ran his finger under the wax seal of the letter, some of the yellow parchment ripping as he lifted the seal up.

He pulled out the papers from inside the envelope, throwing one of them down onto the table without a second look.

Cassies heart was beating loudly in her ears. Her hands shaking as if they would drop off if they stopped, her breathing speeding up as he father read the letter.

Orion nodded curtly at the first few words written on the parchment, frowning as he looked at one of them, before nodding again. When he reached the bottom of the page he froze.

No nod. No frown.

He just held the letter in his hand, his eyes focused on only one of the words.

"What is it Orion?" Walburga asked, putting down her knife and fork and turning to look at her husband.

Orion looked up at Cassie.