𝗳𝗶𝗳𝘁𝘆-𝗲𝗶𝗴𝗵𝘁

( chapter ) fifty-eighttw: mentions of abuse

( chapter )
fifty-eight
tw: mentions of abuse

CASSIOPEIA BLACK OPENED HER eyes, blinking away the stray tears that still rested between her lids. She could feel the stickiness of her cheeks from where tears had dried the previous night. Her head was throbbing, every time she blinked a short pain shot through her head.

Cassies head was still resting on James' chest. Her ear pressed up against his heart, which was beating in her ear, each beat giving her a sense of comfort.

A small smile graced her lips.

She'd finally done it. She told someone, and it felt as if the weight of the world had been lifted up off her shoulders. She didn't regret it, not at all. She knew that telling someone wouldn't solve all her problems, there was nothing James could do to help and she didn't want his pity, she hated pity. But she felt that telling someone had been a step in the right direction, however, she didn't yet know what that direction was.

She was also relived, she had told James and he hadn't been cross at her. He had just held her while she told him. He didn't interrupt once, letting her speak. And she would forever be greatful for that, as she could tell by his body language that he was cross. The way he seemed to flinch as she spoke, the way his jaw was clenched as she looked up at him. That he held onto her as if he were never going to let go.

Cassie sat up, looking at the small clock on James' bedside table as she did so. She ran a hand though her hair, trying to detangle some of the ends.

"Morning love." James said, sitting up aswell and reaching for his glasses.

Cassie frowned as she saw the small bags under his eyes, she reached forwards and placed her hands either side of his cheeks, her thumbs gently rubbing the skin under his eyes.

"You didn't sleep last night." She stated, frowning more as James pulled away from her, placing his glasses on his face, the rims slightly hiding the bags.

James shook his head, grabbing her hand and intwining his fingers with hers and giving her hand a slight squeeze.

"I did, I slept like a baby."

She stared blankly at him.

"Thats stupid, babies don't sleep well." She rasied an eyebrow at him. James shook his head, giving her a small shrug.

"I'm fine, honestly." Cassie leant forwards and kissed his cheek before pulling back.

The two of them sat cross legged on James bed, facing the other and not saying a word. They sat like that for a few moments, neither of them knowing what to say.

James couldn't help but admire Cassie, the way that she had gone though all of that alone. The way that she was so strong though it all. He couldn't even begin to imagine the pain that she had been in, and he never wanted her to feel it again. He wanted her to come and stay with him and Sirius, but he knew that she wouldn't. As she had said the previous night, she was trying to protect Regulus and she always would.