ninety-six

・・・☽✥☾・・・

CHAPTER NINETY-SIX

・・・☽✥☾・・・

CASSIE HAD ALWAYS FOUND IT HARD for her mind to focus on one thing; even when she was extremely young her mind would travel as if it wanted to get around the World in eighty days.

She could never focus one thought for too long, her mind would always find a link from that one thought to another before she could stop it.

Her mind was constantly running at a million miles per hour and each thought came and went just as quickly.

Cassie had never cared about the way her mind changed more times than she blinked a day.

She'd never given it more than one thought, which too, ironically, wasn't there for long.

But when she found out that someone she loved was hurt - it was all she could think about.

All other thoughts were drowned out by that one thought that only grew as more time - before long it was the only thing Cassie could think about and all other thoughts struggled under the weight of that one as they tried to desperately grab her attention yet again.

Cassie was running.

Her hair was bouncing with every step she took, her chest heaving with the urge to gather more air into her lungs, her side hurt and her head pounded.

But she still ran.

Cassie didn't apologise to the students she bumped into and she didn't notice the states she was receiving as she ran through the halls and staircases of the castle.

She didn't even give the students on their way to breakfast a second glance as her thoughts pounded in her ears like the beat of a drum.

Each thud of her feet on the floor in time with the same thought starting again in her mind.

It was like a broken record player that only played the same track time after time after time.

But none of that mattered to her.

Cassie hadn't needed another word of exclamation from Alice and she sat on the bench for a second longer, before she ran out of the hall - leaving her bag and her friends behind.

She was worried - James was hurt, of course she was going to be worried.

But she almost felt like her worry went deeper than just the fact that James was hurt.

Cassie wasn't entirely sure why she felt like that, but she had the hunch that it was because James was there for her when she was in pain and she wasn't there for him.

Cassie knew that it was a ridiculous thought, she wasn't to know that James was in the Hospital Wing until someone had told her.

But still, the feeling resided in the pit of her stomach like a cramp that you couldn't get rid of.

Cassie only slowed down when she caught sight of the Hospital Wing, but the thoughts in her head sped up more than ever.