𝗳𝗼𝗿𝘁𝘆-𝗻𝗶𝗻𝗲

( chapter )forty-nine

( chapter )
forty-nine

CASSIOPEIA BLACK SAT WITH HER head in one of her hands as she slapped the wooden table with the other one, her way of absent-mindedly clapping for every first-year that was being sorted that year.

She clapped as a young boy joined Ravenclaw, his cheeks red as the house of blue and bronze began to cheer and clap loudly for him, patting him on the back as he sat down.

The sorting was always rather boring in her opinion, she didn't understand why she needed to watch two dozen first years get sorted into their houses, when she didn't even know them, and it's not like she wanted to get to know them either.

Usually she had Nova next to her, making the ceremony more bearable as the two Slytherins would just talk and mess around through the whole thing, but for obvious reasons that wasn't happening this year.

The girl also didn't want to eat with Regulus, thinking that he just wanted to spend the evening catching up with friends, not wanting his older sister around, potentially embarrassing him.

Cassie yawned slightly as she looked up and down the Slytherin table, her eyebrows furrowing as she noticed a handful of empty seats up and down the table.

She lifted her head from her hands and clapped slowly as another house name was called, looking up and down the table once again, tilting her head ever so slightly to the side.

She didn't understand why some Slytherins had left, one of the people she thought was gone was Crabbe, and he was in his last year, so it wasn't like he had long to go anyways.

She also didn't see the faces of a few of the most pureblooded families that were at Hogwarts, the youngest person she realised was missing being in his fifth year.

Cassie jumped in her seat as clapping around her grew again, this time it was loudest around her, she looked up to see a first year running over to the Slytherin table, a smug look on his face as he sat down next to another first year.

She shook her head, trying to shake the small sense of worry she felt from the other Slytherins missing, before turning her attention to around the hall.

Her eyes scanned over the Gryffindor table before she caught sight of James, who was already looking at her, laughing silently to himself.

Cassie rolled her eyes and held up her middle finger to him, realising he was laughing at the way she had jumped seconds before.

James only laughed harder.

Cassie turned back to face the teachers table, where McGonagall was now picking up the hat and stool, all attention turned to Dumbledore, who only said two words.

"Tuck in."

The empty plates that rested on the tables infront of students began to fill up with every food you could imagine. There were plates of mash potato piled high, and large bowls filled of carrots and peas. There were dozens of platters, each filled to the brim with different meats. A tower of bread rolls sat in the middle of each table, smaller plates with different types of bread further down the tables. There was food from different cultures and different countries all over the world, ensuring anyone in the castle felt at home.