ninety-one

( chapter ninety-one )

FEBRUARY FOURTEENTH.

Valentine's Day.

Or, as Cassie liked to call it, 'the Day for idiots in love to celebrate it.'

That was before she too became an idiot in love.

Which was the reason that Cassie was currently sitting in front of a mirror as Lily did her hair - Marlene had started on it, but was quickly pushed to the side when they saw that a part of Cassie's hair had begun to smoke.

Cassie had no idea what Lily was doing to her hair, and she'd rather not ask. She had really just wanted to brush it, but all three of the other girls had said a firm no.

"I don't understand this." Cassie spoke up, blowing a stray strand of hair out of her face as Lily clipped it there for a moment.

"Understand what?" Alice called out from the bathroom.

Alice had a date with Frank later that day, he was taking her on a walk around the Black lake before he took her to a picnic on the other side of it - to say the girl was excited would be an understatement.

"The whole Valentine's day thing. I get it's a day to celebrate love, but it makes people who are single feel like shit half the time, and what's so special about a celebrating the love you and someone else have when half the world celebrate on the same day?"

There was silence in the room for a few moments.

"I- what?" Marlene finally asked from where she was laying on her bed, throwing a balled up pair of socks into the air and catching them aimlessly.

Alice poked her head around the bathroom door, showing her face with half done makeup, and a smudge of lipstick on her lips.

Lily just slowly shook her head as she continued to work on Cassie's hair.

"I mean, don't get me wrong, I love James, but Valentine's day, I just don't get it."

The three girls nodded as they urged for Cassie to go on.

"I don't know what you're all waiting for, that's it. I have nothing more to say on the matter."

Alice shrugged as she hid back behind the bathroom door and began to do her makeup again, Lily just let out a small giggle as she pinned back another part of Cassie's hair.

Marlene sat up, holding the pair of socks in her hand.

"You, stop talking about something, what on Earth happened?"

・・・☽✥☾・・・

James ran a hand through his hair as he waited outside the Great Hall for Cassie to meet him.

Students passed him as they entered the great hall for their dinner, a few girls and the odd boy stared at him as they passed, a hint of jealousy flashing through their eyes.

James was wearing a white polo shirt that was now slightly too small for him, meaning it clung to his toned arms and pressed slightly against his chest. The top two buttons were undone and the shirt was ironed so well that there wasn't a crease in sight.

His shirt was tucked into a pair of black trousers, they too were slightly small on him, but seeing as they were black you could hardly see that they were unless you looked too close.

James wasn't sure if he had just grown a lot recently, or if his clothes had just shrunk in the wash.

It was possible to have been a mixture of both.