» 136 «

"Y/n?" His eyes were just as wide as mine were, though it was hard to tell whether they were for the same reason.

Because his attention wasn't on me. His gaze was frantically flickering through the long corridor, head turning left and right every few seconds as if the devil himself would turn the corner any second now.

His breath was heavy; his hands propping his upper body up on his knees.

He looked like he just ran a muggle-marathon with the thin layer of sweat covering his forehead and his face almost as red as his tie.

Though, even considering his unpleasant circumstances, he noticed the confused look on my face. "They're-" He panted, his eyes searching the corridor once more. "They're after me- trying to find me-" He stuttered, clearly exhausted beyond his resources.

"Who?" I asked quickly, panic rising in my voice before my own memories answered the question for me.

Because I remembered how Neville straight-out refused to cruciate anyone. He just stood there, stubborn as ever; even tried to have some of the other students stop.

"The Carrow's-"

Just as the words left his mouth, I heard dull footsteps against the stoned floor of the corridors quickly approaching. Neville did, too, and his eyes seemed to grow even wider. I feared they might pop out of their sockets completely.

He stammered some incoherent pleas and curse-words alike when I, myself, cursed for only having one option left. I quickly grabbed him by the wrist before pushing the door to the room of requirements open once more.

Before even acknowledging Draco's confused, and admittedly panicked expression, I slammed the door shut and hoped it would disappear to the outside world fast.

Neville leaned against the closed door, head thrown back as he tried to catch his breath; eyes closed, and therefore unaware of the rather stiff blonde standing just a few feet away.

Draco's brows were furrowed, eyes wide as they flickered back and forth between me and the exhausted Gryffindor boy.

He mouthed a silent "What the fuck?" shaking his head slowly to show me just how much trouble we could be in once Neville opened his eyes.

When Neville did open his eyes, they immediately landed on me, and he began rambling about the situation like a mad man. "You know, I refused to use the Cruciatus curse, and ever since we left class, they've been following me. Trying to be discrete about it, for some reason. 'Guess they wanted to do more than just torturing me. As soon as I noticed, I started walking faster, and so did they. And then I pretty much ran through all the secret passages and hidden corridors I knew to shake them." He was speaking so fast, I was glad I picked up any of the words, in the first place. "I honestly don't know how I didn't think of... well, this!"

When the last words left his mouth, a small smile tugged at the corners of his lips, and he went to look around the room. Though, as soon as his eyes left mine, they fell on Draco.

He had been quiet ever since, standing behind me with his arms crossed as he eyed Neville suspiciously. His jaw was clenched, and I could swear I even saw him gritting his teeth.

Merlin knows why he was so angry, all of a sudden.

But Neville seemed to pick up on his mood, and, out of reflex, his posture shrunk together just tiniest bit. His straight back caved in, and his head immediately hung low.

I wasn't quite sure, but it felt like that was fear in his eyes.

Draco seemed pleased with his effect on him, and I rolled my eyes in an annoyed manner. Now wasn't really the right time to boost his ego by intimidating Neville Longbottom.

I put an arm on Neville's back and gently pushed him towards the large sofa in front of the fireplace, urging him to sit on it to calm himself down.

My eyes dragged back over to Draco, who made a point out of staying quiet and glaring at the boy in the most lethal way. Once more, I shook my head, giving the blonde a warning look.

"He won't say anything," I assured, my gaze flickering from Draco over to the boy on the sofa. "Right, Neville?"

He frantically shook his head, a stern "No," following the motion.

With a brow raised, I looked back at Draco, whose posture seemed to relax, though the grim expression on his face went nowhere.

"Good."

I sighed, a hint of amusement in the sound.

"Quit it, Draco," I huffed, rolling my eyes once more. "You're not nearly as intimidating as you think."

Neville's chest deflated at my words, and I noticed an amused glint in his eyes. Simultaneously, Draco forced out a disheartened grunt before throwing himself on the opposite side of the couch, arms still crossed.

The brunette cleared his throat, curiosity getting the better of him as his eyes darted back and forth between Draco and me.

"So... you two-" He began, struggling to find the right words without setting Draco off. "you didn't break up?"

"No-" I began, finally letting myself fall onto the couch as well, swiftly landing between the two boys, and therefore blocking Draco's view of Neville. Maybe it would stop his glaring.

Before I could explain the how's, and especially the why's, Draco effectively cut me off.

"-It's complicated," He grumbled passively, clearly not feeling like sharing that piece of information. "And none of your concern."

I groaned loudly, my attention now completely on him. "Merlin, stop being such a jerk," I snapped. Deep down, I knew he was right. But there were definitely nicer words he could've used.

As my back was turned to Neville, Draco and I bickered back and forth for what felt like an eternity. It seemed like we both completely forgot about poor Neville.

We only remembered when he audibly cleared his throat, and I turned back around to face him. "I understand," He simply nodded, much calmer as he eyed us with interest.

Then, as if he just remembered where we were, his eyes diverted to scan the room carefully.

He was nodding to himself, quite clearly deep in thought. "I think I just had an idea," He muttered under his breath, still taking in the room.

Draco quirked an eyebrow at the statement, his interest clearly sparked. But even though he wanted something from Neville, his tone was still that of a bratty child.

"And what would that be?" He asked dismissively.

Neville huffed, eyes finally locked with the blonde.

"It's complicated," He began, and I had an idea of where this was going. "And none of your concern." A wide grin replaced the curious expression on my face in an instant, proud to see Neville standing up for himself once more.

Even if it was Draco he challenged, the sight was still just as enjoyable. Maybe even a bit more.

Almost shocked by the amount of confidence in Neville's voice, he narrowed his eyes at the boy before shaking his head and leaning back into the couch, eyes towards the front.

He didn't have anything else to say, and the fact only made Neville's own smile grow wider.

A/N: Heyyyy an update that's on time again wowie

Neville's character development is like my fav lol

Hope you enjoyed <3