» 9 «

"Malfoy?! Really?" Hermione asked in disbelief. "Well if that's the case, I better get on this homework right away." She mockingly waved her potions book around and I nodded knowingly.

I was able to catch her right after dinner that day, just when she was about to walk out of the great hall. Harry and Ron were still completely focused on their food, probably not even realising their best friend had left.

While I didn't know the girl for very long, it was apparent how important good grades were to her.

"Anyways, thanks for letting me know!" She seemed lost in her thoughts. Probably already half-way through the potions essay, Snape gave us when she rushed towards the library.

She was determined, I'll give her that.

I, on the other hand, couldn't think of anything worse to do on a Friday afternoon. Instead, I thought my time would be better occupied by trying to find a valid excuse to not show up to Malfoy's stupid tutoring.

So, Wren and I were sitting in one of the many courtyards of the castle, trying to figure out how to get me out of this one. "You could ask the Weasley twins for some puking pastilles. After a while it might become suspicious, but for the first few weeks you'll have a safe way out." The idea wasn't too bad, but I shook my head anyway.

"I've had enough of any Weasley, frankly." I sighed at the memory of Ron's comment.

The fact none of them had really spoken a word to me since then worried me. Were they all in agreement with what he had said? Even Harry?

"Huh?" Wren gave me a confused look, "What happened?"

"Oh, nothing." I sighed. "I don't think Ron is a big fan of the serpent," I said sarcastically, pointing at the green snake on my uniform. "Something about 'There's not a single dark witch or wizard who wasn't in Slytherin.'"

"Oh come on, that's just stupid!" She laughed, giving me a little nudge. "If it's any help, you're one of the nicest Slytherin's I've ever met!"

"One of the?!" I gasped, pretending to be offended by her remark. "I'd go as far as saying I'm the nicest one." She slapped my shoulder lightly, rolling her eyes at my comment. "Sure," She laughed.

"So, is that why you haven't really spoken to them the past few days?" Her dark eyes looked at me curiously. "Mostly, but I haven't really seen them around, either. They missed out on dinner twice; must be a busy time for them."

It was true. I became rather curious as to what the three were up to in the past few days. It always seemed as if something was going on around them, even when nothing was.

But, me and my brother had separate lives and I always had a bad habit of sticking my nose into other people's business.

As if she was reading my mind Wren smirked, "I wonder what they're up to." I nodded, knowing exactly how she felt.

"Y/n!" An oddly familiar voice said from behind me and I turned around.

"River!" I jumped up once I recognised the blonde in her blue robe and greeted her cheerily. I was surprised it took me a whole week to see her again. "How have you been?"

"Oh just fine!" She smiled, her gaze wandering towards Wren who was still sitting on the floor, quietly following our conversation.

"Ah, this is Wren Inkwood; Wren - River Talpin." I introduced the two of them.

"Nice to meet you!" River smiled, "Am I going to see you guys at Hogsmeade tomorrow?"

"Most likely," Wren said politely and River nodded. "Well, I'll see you then!" And with that, just as quick as she appeared, she disappeared, too.

"Hey, I actually don't know whether I'll be able to go tomorrow.." I confessed once River had left. Now that the topic of Hogsmeade was already brought up, I might as well just spoil it now.

I knew how much Wren was looking forward to her first Hogsmeade weekend, she mentioned it at least once a day. And I hated to be the one to drop out. But it wasn't really my choice, either.

"What?" She said, seemingly upset by the news. "Why?"

"I's just the whole parental permission thing might be hard to come by." An awkward smile played on my lips as I tried to explain the situation to her. "I really would've loved to go, though."

"It's okay, I'll just tag along with the others! At least this way you can't annoy me the whole time." She teased and I could see a small smile forming on her lips.

For the rest of the evening, we didn't lose focus in trying to get rid of Malfoy.

At last, what we came up with was quite plain, but absolutely genius.

If Malfoy thought I would be the only one suffering through our lessons together, while he was enjoying torturing me; I would just have to turn that around.

The plan was simple. Be as mean to him, as often as possible, in the most annoying way I could think of. And once it did come to the tutoring lessons; act as stupid as I could. Not that that would be a problem in potions.

I just had to make it not worth the few house points he was getting from Snape.

"We're geniuses," Wren said, impressed with our plan as we were on the way to our dorms. "No way he's gonna wanna do this for longer than a week. Trust me." And I did.

The girl had really become a good friend in the short week I had been here. I couldn't wait to see our friendship blossom. "Oh, what would I do without you, Inkwood!"