» 149 «

"Have you heard from her?"

"I'm sorry, are you talking to me?" Brows furrowed, I peeked over the edges of the book my head was buried in a moment ago.

The dorm was emptier than usual; Merlin knows where Daphne and Millicent were. But their absence left me alone with no other than Pansy Parkinson.

She rolled her eyes with a loud sigh before nodding slightly, her head still resting in her palms while the rest of her body was sprawled across her bed.

"Don't think there's anyone else here to talk to," She grumbled, her eyes dragging away from the bed next to mine to land on me for the first time. I lowered my book at the snarky comment, one eyebrow quirked before a smirk formed on my face.

"That depends on your mental state, Parkinson. And I'm not quite sure how sane you are," I shrugged, though closed my book and put it on my nightstand next to me. My expression urged her to keep on talking, seeing as there surely was something she wanted.

"Have you heard from her?" She repeated her original question, attention drifting off me and back onto Wren's empty bed. "From Inkwood, I mean."

"Oh," A gust of air escaped my lips at the unexpected inquiry, eyes darting back and forth between the girl and the empty bed next to mine.

When she noticed I hesitated, she quickly shook her head dismissively, letting it fall out of her hands and onto the bed before turning to lay on her back.

"Merlin, this is stupid. Never mind—"

"I have," I quickly interrupted before she could go on. "No need to—"

"I'm not... worried—or whatever else you were about to say," She spat, heaving her upper body off the mattress to send me a quick glare.

"No, of course not," I snickered. "You're only the one who smuggled her a love potion, after all." I couldn't help but crack a smile as the words left my mouth, which only made her narrow her eyes further as she propped herself on her elbows to look at me.

"Shut up," She seethed through gritted teeth, letting herself fall back onto the bed.

"I mean, a few years earlier and it would've been Draco, so—" I continued, the smirk on my face deepening as I watched her cheeks redden.

Out of reflex, she grabbed the pillow from her bed and forcefully threw it my way while continuously shouting multiple variations of "Shut up."

Though, her frantic expression, red cheeks and messy hair only made a loud laugh escape my lips as I caught the pillow she threw at me. Which, in return, only made her yell louder.

Though, when I continued teasing her, and a sharp "Do you ever just the fuck up, Y/n?!" left her lips, not even Pansy Parkinson could keep her mouth from twitching into a smile, even if it was just for a mere second.

As soon as she realised, she replaced it with a frown, but the damage was done. And for some reason, the fact that she was trying to hide her smile only made me laugh louder.

And despite all her efforts; quivering lip as she tried to hold her laughter in, a loud laugh rumbled through her chest soon after.

It took both of us a while to calm down again. Honestly, at this point, I wasn't quite sure what we were laughing about.

The sound of her laughter filling the room made me notice that this was truthfully the first time I had heard her actually, genuinely laugh in my presence—a loud, careless belly-laugh.

We both took a deep breath and inhaled just as loudly at the same time, slowly but surely calming down as we both laid on our beds, eyes steadied on the ceiling.