» 40 «

The castle was filled with classical music echoing through each and every corridor; So loud, it was still heard in the dungeons while I was getting ready.

My hair was hanging loosely over my shoulders, knowing any hairstyle requiring it to be pinned up would end up becoming uncomfortable. My make up was soft, but seeing as I never wore any, it still made a considerable difference to my appearance.

My hands slid over the soft fabric of the black dress one last time, straightening out the crease I spotted in the mirror. I nodded to myself, approving of my reflection before turning towards the door and leaving.

Wren said I should meet her in front of the Great Hall, where we would be waiting for Alexei, anyway. So, that's where I was heading.

I spotted the two as soon as I turned the corner and a smile grew on my face.

Wren was the first to notice me, her eyes falling up and down my body once, scanning the outfit. A soft smile placed itself on her lips. "You look-"

She paused, trying to find the right words, but Alex did it for her. "-Beautiful." He finished her sentence, and she nodded in agreement.

"Yeah, that," She mumbled, and the smile on my face grew wider.

Her hands were fidgeting with the loose silk dress she was wearing, the emerald green colour beautifully complementing both sides of her hair, as well as her complexion.

"Stop, you're gonna make me blush!" I laughed but thanked them afterwards. "You both look rather fine as well." My eyes fell on Alex in his red uniform, and I scoffed. "Even though I think I saw a few others wear that exact outfit, Alex," I said sarcastically before laughing.

He rolled his eyes, adding an 'Oh, really?' before we entered the hall.

We passed by Harry, and I gave him a thumbs-up, wishing him good luck for the dance he had to open. I just hope he was taught as well as I was by Blaise.

He didn't look like he was particularly looking forward to it, but at least he was rocking the dress robes. Then again, next to whatever Weasley was wearing, anything would've looked good.

The hall was already filled up with students; it seemed like we were one of the last people to enter, the doors closing just after we walked through them.

We found a spot among the rest of the students and just a few minutes after, the music became louder, and we all focused on the doors the champions would walk through any second now.

Everyone started clapping as they opened, and they saw the four couples walking down the aisle created by the students.

Hermione looked absolutely amazing, Vik wearing a proud smile as he looked at her again.

They all looked stunning, to say the least, and nobody embarrassed themselves during the opening dance, either. Apart from the fact Harry did look as clueless as ever, but honestly, when did he not?

Soon after, the first Professors started joining in, and it didn't take much longer for the students to do the same. The dance floor quickly filled up with people, all of them wearing big smiles as they moved to the music.

Slow dancing as a pair of three wasn't really ideal, so instead, we sat at one of the round tables just talking. Vik and Hermione joined us for a while, but it didn't take long before they went dancing again.

Wren and Alex were having a conversation; I wasn't quite sure about what, honestly. I got up, hoping they wouldn't notice my absence but both of their heads snapped in my direction as soon as I was standing.

"Where are you going?" They both asked at the same time, giving each other a quick look before breaking out into laughter. The curiosity on their face didn't fade, though.

"Snacks?" I said, an innocent smile on my face as I gestured towards the table filled with all sorts of foods and drinks and they nodded, probably surprised I didn't say anything sooner.

After filling up my glass and my plate with everything that looked like it could taste good, I turned back around to get to my friends.

I scanned the room, watching the students laughing and dancing with a smile on my face that faded as soon as my eyes fell on Malfoy.

Just like everyone else, he was spinning through the room, leading Parkinson around the dance floor with a smile on his face. I sighed, watching them closely for a bit longer before diverting my attention off of them.

I wasn't jealous. I didn't even care about him, or what he was doing with her. In fact, I thought they looked lovely together. I scoffed at my own thoughts; this was stupid.

I walked back towards my table, trying to ignore the feeling that was forming in my chest and stomach and put on a smile.

I tilted my head as I approached, confused when I saw Wren sitting by herself. "Where's Alex?" I asked, and her head shot in my direction, happy to see me.

"This girl asked him to dance," She explained quickly, nodding towards them on the dance floor and I smiled.

"Well, at least-" I didn't finish my sentence, interrupting myself when a girl came to a halt right in front of us.

"I'm sorry. I'm not interrupting anything, am I?" The blonde girl asked in a calm voice, and we both shook our heads with a smile. "I was wondering if you wanted to dance, Wren?"

Wren blushed as soon as the words left her mouth and she kept looking back and forth between the girl and I, not saying anything.

"Of course she does!" I blurted out after giving her enough time to do it herself. I pushed her up the chair, giving her a prompting look as I did so.

The blonde chuckled, extending her hand towards Wren and she took it before they disappeared onto the dance floor as well.

So here I was, sitting by myself while I watched my friends probably having the time of their lives.

I sighed, deep in my thoughts before a familiar voice caught my attention. "Now that's rather depressing. Your own friends ditched you?" Malfoy sat down on the chair next to me, and I rolled my eyes at him.

"Don't you have a date to attend?" I asked sarcastically, not giving him the satisfaction of looking at him.

"What? You don't want me here?" He scoffed. "It's not like I'm interrupting anything." A smirk grew on his face, and I already regretted giving him the time of day.

I gave up bickering with the boy, not seeing any outcome that was worth my time.

"Come with me." He said suddenly, getting up and prompting me to do the same. It didn't sound like a question, so instead of pretending I wasn't interested or had anything better to do, I just did what he said and followed him out of the hall.

"It's nice to see you do what I tell you to. I like it," He said in a low voice, just as we exited through the big doors.

"Don't get used to it, Malfoy."