» 90 «

A few days had passed since then. Days which I spent mostly in my bed, or in the library reading about unbreakable vows. There must've been something out there that could give me clues as to what was going on.

And if Draco wasn't going to tell me, I had to do it myself.

"The person who breaks the oath will die," it read in one of the books.

What in the world was Snape willing to die for? Or better, why would he be willing to die for Draco?

Sure, he always took a particular liking in the boy, favouring him in class or letting him get away with things others wouldn't-I didn't think the courtesy would reach a point as extreme as this, though.

And I'm sure there was something I missed, entirely.

It was Christmas day, and even then I couldn't get my mind off of it all. A time that was supposed to feel serene, calming; make you appreciate the people around you. And here I was, worrying about Unbreakable vows and Voldemort.

The Great Hall looked beautiful; even more magical than it usually did. And I hoped at least for a few hours I could distract myself from the topic.

The large Christmas trees had been decorating the Great Hall ever since the holidays started; so were the mistletoes, hollies and all the other decorations.

Though, today, on Christmas Day, there was snow falling from the ceiling of the Great Hall. It was dry and warm, simply evaporating once it fell on me. It made me feel cosy; almost like I was wrapped in a thick blanket after a few minutes.

Seeing how little students were staying over Christmas, we all sat at one table; the professors with us instead of their usual table at the head of the hall. I didn't expect to see Draco here, so it didn't surprise me when he wasn't with us.

People were laughing, talking; and it almost didn't feel like I was at school. It felt like home, even if I was surrounded by people I had never talked to before; they felt like home. Like peace.

We were drinking, the professors wine, the students pumpkin- or cranberry juice, eating, and chatting. Though, I was focused mostly on the food.

The feast, and it deserved that name, by all means, was the greatest and grandest feast I had ever laid my eyes on.

Roast turkey, roast potatoes, chipolatas, peas, gravy, cranberry sauce, Yorkshire puddings. And I had it all. I don't think I felt as content with anything for a very long time. Though, the flaming Christmas pudding just didn't seem to fit anymore; which upset me a little bit.

I sighed in contentment after I cleared my plate, my eyes flickering across the table, scanning the faces of the people around me; all looking as jolly as ever.

I could swear Professor McGonagall was acting a little too jolly; almost like she had one glass of wine too many. She seemed to really be enjoying herself.

I raised my eyebrows when I caught Snape's eyes with mine. He seemed to be thinking about something rather intensely; making me feel like he was looking through me, entirely.

His eyes narrowed, brows furrowed, and his mouth forming a straight line like it always did.

I diverted my gaze off of him, growing uncomfortable with the accidental eye contact quickly. It made me remember that conversation again; had me grow restless as I shifted back and forth in my seat.

I resisted the urge to get up right then and there for another few minutes, exchanged a few words with the students closest to me, and then got up with a polite nod.