» 32 «

I slammed the door shut behind me, and a loud groan escaped my lips. "What are you staring at?!" I hissed at the students curiously looking my way, secretly hoping they didn't hear the whole argument.

They all went back to what they were doing, making sure not to look at me in the process. All but one person, anyway.

I rolled my eyes when I caught Malfoy's curious look from across the room and rushed out of the dungeons in an instance. I said it myself, everything that boy was involved in turned into one big mess. This time was clearly not an exception.

I ran through random corridors, trying to get as far from the Slytherin common room as I could and ended up on the astronomy tower. It was past curfew by now, but I didn't really care anymore.

I took a deep breath of the fresh air and just observed the moon for a while. I've never appreciated the quiet as much as I did at this moment and was surprised nobody interrupted me this time.

But having enough time by yourself also allowed you to think-a lot. And in my particular situation that meant; guilt.

I spent hours up there just making myself feel worse about the situation. Telling myself how I shouldn't have kept something as big as this from my best friend. And yet, to what avail?

The past was the past, my actions, or rather, inaction, had consequences and here I was, living them. The only thing I could do now was change the course of the future.

And letting Malfoy meddle with that, instead of fixing things with Wren and making sure Harry never found out what had happened between us, wasn't an option.

If it only took two days for someone to catch us, it was only a matter of weeks before the whole school would know if we kept going, anyway.

Determined to end things with him the next time I saw him, I took a deep breath and just admired the view for a little longer. The moon was bright, it must've been at least 1 by now, and I felt myself getting tired.

Just as I was about to get up to sneak back to my dorm, I heard footsteps climbing up the Astronomy Tower, and I silently cursed to myself. As if this day wasn't already bad enough, of course I had to be caught by a prefect or professor to round it all up.

I mentally prepared myself for what was about to happen next but was met with someone else entirely. "I felt like I'd find you here," Malfoy said calmly before sitting down next to me.

I didn't look at him. And he didn't say anything, but I could feel his eyes on me.

"Well, I wanted to talk to you, anyway," I began after a period of silence, remembering the promise I made myself. It was now or never, I guess.

I finally looked at him. His blonde hair was messily hanging into his face, the moonlight reflecting in his grey eyes beautifully. He was wearing a plain white shirt and loose pants; the complete opposite of what I'd usually see him in around the castle.

"Me too," He said, and I gestured for him to go on. Whatever it was he wanted to say, he definitely wouldn't after I was done talking. "Earlier, in the common room.. that was really inappropriate of me. I shouldn't have made jokes like that," He said, and for the first time, I recognised a hint of honesty in his voice. "At least not in a situation like that." A small smile formed in the corner of his mouth.

I couldn't keep myself from smiling at his words, either. "Is that an apology?" I asked jokingly, an eyebrow raised.

"I'm not going to say it out loud," The blonde said sternly, the playful tone still in his voice and I chuckled.

"I'll take that as a yes," I said, confirming it to myself with a nod.

We both just sat there for a while, again, not saying anything. Enjoying the comfortable silence between us before he broke it. "Your turn," He said gently, reminding me of what I told myself to do the next time I saw him.

"Ron saw us," I began, but was immediately interrupted by him.

"I figured," He said with a shrug before looking at me again. I furrowed my brows, waiting for him to explain. "Well, knowing Weasley and Inkwood talked, and the way she stormed through the common room, and the way you yelled at her, the way she looked at me-"

I shook my head with a smile, "So you do use that brain of yours sometimes?"

He snickered, playfully hitting my shoulder. "So? What about Weasley, then?" He asked, a curious look on his face.

I sighed, my eyes wandering up and down his body once more. If only he didn't look the way he did.

"Nothing." I shook my head before putting on a smile. "Absolutely nothing."

Never it is, then.

He furrowed his brows in confusion but didn't ask any further questions.

"We do have to be more careful," I added to my remark after a while. I was embarrassed by myself; not being able to just cut it off before it really even started. And I knew it was stupid.

But the least we could do was that. I'd really rather die than have anyone else find out about us.

"Agreed. I'd rather die than have people know what or who I do in my free time," He smirked, clearly being sarcastic. I gasped, pretending to be offended by what he had said as if I didn't just have the exact same thought.

He rolled his eyes before beginning to speak again. "Let's just meet here, then. Say, every second night or something?"

"That's ambitious. I'll grow tired of you within the first week," I laughed, suggestively raising an eyebrow.

"Trust me; you won't."