6.10 (2)

The smile on Grandma Xuan’s face grew wider, and she kept nodding, listening again to the young boy, who was holding her up, as he continued, “Everyone at school likes Lele. She is good-looking, gets good grades, always gets a scholarship, and even when she goes to the cafeteria, the cafeteria lady would give her an extra scoop of food.”

“However, Lele also has shortcomings. She is too frugal. She always orders those cheap meals. Luckily, later, once we were together, we bought food and cooked it ourselves. We saved money and ate much better than before.”

“If it’s about doing it yourself, Lele, the girl, is just too frugal. I’m the one who dragged her down. She can’t even afford a nice dress…” If Grandma Xuan still had some disbelief in what Wei Mingyan said before, after that later line about her granddaughter being frugal, she’s completely believe it.

“Lele always lies to me about what she was willing to buy at school. If she was willing, how can she still send money home every month if it wasn’t saved by her? Sometimes, seeing as this child is so young and can’t be bothered to buy clothes, I wish I had passed away early…”

Grandma Xuan was so emotional today that she sobbed after saying a couple of sentences.

She smelled like an old person, not unkempt, just a smell unique to her age that the average village person wouldn’t go near, but Wei Mingyan patted her hand gently, as if he hadn’t smelled it, and comforted her, “Don’t think that way, Lele cares about you a lot. After I’ve been with her, she is happiest when she calls you, and every time she hears your voice, she becomes so happy that she smiles so sweetly and says that you are her motivation to study.”

“Here, you lean over here and I’ll feed you some chicken soup.”

Grandma Xuan listened with a smile, “Aiyo, how can you make an old woman spread vinegar? I’ll do it myself. My hand is still strong.”

(TNote: spread vinegar = make other people jealous.)

“It’s okay, I’m your future granddaughter’s husband. What’s wrong with feeding you some chicken soup, Grandma? Let me tell you something about Lele at school. She loves to go to the study hall every time she has no class. When I chased her, I went to the study hall once …”

Xuan Lele sat at his small table, eating chicken soup one mouthful at a time as her eyes fell on the two people sitting on the bed. She saw Grandma Xuan had a rare happy smile, shakily eating a mouthful from Mingyan, and she looked at the handsome man, who talked about how fun school was while patiently feeding the elder some soup with a spoonful, under the dim light. Her heart was warm and she felt more at ease than ever before.

When the old woman finished drinking the soup, she lay down and slept warmly. Wei Mingyan also sat down at the table and whispered, “Lele, let’s take Grandma back.”

“She’s not in good health, it would be better to take her to the hospital early. I have a doctor Uncle that I know in E city, and their hospital isn’t far from our school. When you take your Grandma to the hospital, you can still check on her from time to time.”

Xuan Lele calculated the rest of the money in her hand, including those she saved up during this period of time doing live broadcasts. She will definitely survive in the short term, but in the long term…

“Don’t be afraid, I have money here too. Don’t always feel bad about using my money. We agreed to graduate and get married right, isn’t what’s mine yours? Besides, you can see the environment in the village. Even if we don’t take Grandma away, would we have to leave her alone here? Otherwise, would you take a break from school to spend time with her?”