6.2 (2)

The men in the village didn't dare to speak up for fear of being gossiped about by their families, while the women were dissatisfied with the Xuan family sisters whose looks were leagues better than theirs.

Ironically, their discontent didn't stem from the way the men in their family looked at the sisters.

Beauty could sometimes really become a sin.

Xuan Lele's Grandmother stared fiercely at these people blocking her door, saying that if they ever blocked her house again, she would call the police, and all those who spoke back earlier would die along with the idle man.

The villagers were then scared away, but the Xuan family was completely shunned from the village from then on

Later, a deeper hatred between the Xuan family and the village sprouted.

~

Xuan Lele was born in a disastrous year. Her mother could not produce milk that year, so her father left to catch fish for his wife. It was the middle of winter, and somehow, he slipped and fell into a hole in the ice.

That river was the one where people washed clothes and fetched water. Even though it was winter, the number of people passing by was definitely not low. Xuan Lele's father knew how to swim too, but because the heavy cotton-padded jacket couldn't move in the water, he struggled to hold on to the ice and asked for help from passers-by on the shore.

However, no one, not a single person rescued him.

People shouted and stood by the river, taunting, swim up by yourself.

Aren't you a good swimmer?

Father Xuan choked on some water, floating and sinking, and could barely keep his body afloat by holding onto the ice, but he didn't have the strength to go ashore.

Mother Xuan was in her month of confinement. She looked at her little daughter, thinking that her husband said he would make fish soup for her to drink. Then, she heard someone outside laughed, and ran over.

They said they heard someone fall into the river, and it was the vixen's husband.

They said, everyone is watching, so let's join in the fun.

Grandma Xuan had gone to the city to buy fabric for her recently born granddaughter, and Mother Xuan was so shocked that she rushed out of the house and saw her husband struggling in the river.

She couldn't swim and screamed for those people to save his life.

They only kept smiling and laughing. Don't worry, they said, he can swim, and he's the best swimmer in our village.

This winter, people with heavy cotton jackets were still cold. Not to mention how dangerous this ice hole is. Who wants to go down?

(TNote: can I burn this whole village down?)

Mother Xuan scrambled around looking for tools and finally found a bamboo pole and walked over to her husband so he could come up.

Father Xuan held out his hand, but before he could reach this life-saving bamboo pole, he sank.

Mother Xuan tried to save him and fell in.

At this time, the villagers began to panic, and they cried out for help, but no one was willing to go down.

Nevertheless, the elderly village chief came back from an errand outside the village. He jumped into the river and could only retrieve the bodies of the two people.

Grandma Xuan happily returned home with fabric to make new clothes for her granddaughter, but she was then confronted by a crying baby and two cold corpses.