7.14 (1)

At a very remote small mountain village, an old man with gray hair was carrying firewood down the mountain. He had just fell down, but it didn’t hurt much, and it took him quite a while to pick up the firewood again.

Halfway up the hill, he suddenly found a man standing on a big rock by the side of the road.

That looks to be like a Daoist robe on him. His sleeves were blown by the wind. He was looking down at something with his back to the old man.

“Young man, there is a cliff at the bottom. It’s dangerous. Come down quickly.”

When the man turned and saw his face clearly, the old man couldn’t help but feel stunned. He had lived for over 70 years, and he has never seen such a good-looking person as this young man.

“Old man, what’s under the cliff?”

Listening to the light and beautiful voice, the old man was stupefied for another second before he replied, “I don’t know what’s down there. There’s no village living below, and the road is difficult to walk. No one has ever been there.”

“I heard that there’s a river. I don’t know if it’s true.”

Wei Mingyan nodded, stood on a high stone, and pulled out a tortoise shell from his sleeve, “Thank you for showing me the way. It’s fate that I ran into you. How about I tell you a fortune?”

“Fortune telling?”

The old man had seen a fortune teller. When he was young, his father took him to the old blind man who lived down the hill to tell his fortune. He said that his life would be full of children, and live a very rich life. His father was very happy, so he gave the old man a couple more eggs.

So many years have passed, his wife died early, and he didn’t want to remarry. He lost his wife and baby, he didn’t become rich or even powerful. But unfortunately, the old blind man left long before he got married. Otherwise, he would have been able to say that that man couldn’t tell fortunes.

Because of the old blind man, he didn’t believe in these fortune-tellers. He shook his head laboriously with the firewood on his back, “No, I have no money for that.”

“It’s going to be dark soon, and it isn’t easy to walk at night. You’d better hurry down the mountain.”

“I’ll calculate for you. No charge.”

“No, I don’t believe those things …”

The handsome Daoist, as if he didn’t hear him speak, jumped down the big stone, shook his tortoise shell, looked at the copper money that fell out, and slightly picked his eyebrows. “Lost your mother at age of 3, father at age 16, wife and son at the age of 27. Now, 79 …”

He opened his lips but didn’t say the rest.

The old man paused as he was about to move on. He turned and looked into Wei Mingyan, with eyes full of disbelief. “How did you know my wife was pregnant when she died?”

The Daoist picked up the tortoise shell and kept it in his sleeve. “Old man, you have a granddaughter. But she isn’t biological, your fate is a little shallow. “

“That’s accurate, that’s accurate…”

The old man murmured, “I picked up a child before. She was left in the mountains. She very young, without a father or a mother. I felt pity for her, so I raised her like a granddaughter. “

“Fate is shallow, which means that this granddaughter has left you. May I ask why?”

“I was incompetent. I was too poor. My little granddaughter suffered with me. Her uncle had a family he knew in the city. The family wanted to adopt a child. He told me that I should let him take her there. “