6.20

The poor little mountain village remained poor.

Although each family received 2,000 yuan for selling the mountain, it would still be completely spent no matter how thrifty they were. When the first family, who despite already being accustomed to living on the mountain, used up the money, their first reaction wasn’t to make more money, but to blame the Qiu Wu family.

If they didn’t refuse to move the graves, they all would have received 25,000 yuan instead of 2,000 yuan. How could it be spent so quickly?

They weren’t the only one who thought so. On the night when they tried to forcibly remove the grave, Qiu Wu and his wife acted hostile towards them, even though they were the ones who called the villagers over to dig another person’s grave.

They will only think, wasn’t this how Qiu Wu treated the Xuan family before?

Even though the Xuan family was his benefactor in the past, he still had the heart to do this to them. So, why shouldn’t they do the same to him for the benefit of all the villagers?

The status of the Qiu Wu family in the village was now similar to that of the former Xuan family. Actually, it was probably even worse than that of the Xuan family.

When the villagers were hostile to the Xuan family originally, it happened out of jealousy for the beauty of the Xuan family’s daughters.

The young girls were still underage, as young as green grapes, green and attractive. Unfortunately, a pure and natural beauty didn’t attract people with good intentions, but instead provoked desire in others.

Secondly, the Xuan family had no man to protect it.

Grandpa Xuan died early. Furthermore, when the little girl had an accident, Mother Xuan wasn’t with Father Xuan. In the eyes of the villagers, especially the women, there were three of them, and two of the three women were temptresses who seduced their husbands’ eyes.

These foolish and vicious women neither thought about whether the Xuan family’s sisters were willing to be seen with such eyes by men nor how uncomfortable it was for the two girls who had done nothing and still provoked a lot of gossip.

This way, the villagers vented their frustration at having to do hard work every day on the Xuan sisters, while also looking for a sense of superiority.

They were good-looking, so what? They were still disliked by the villagers.

Older men were jealous of Grandma Xuan’s affections for Grandpa Xuan when he was alive which they didn’t get. The young women were jealous that someone they liked and wanted for themselves fell for the pair of sisters.

As usual, instead of trying to improve themselves, they just wanted to suppress the people who were stronger than themselves, so they would never venture out.

Soon, Grandma Xuan left the village for a long time without anyone noticing, but they were only happy that they got money for nothing. Why would they care about the life and death of an old woman? Even if she really died of anger inside her house, it wouldn’t have bothered them.

Finally, Qiu Wu, who finally couldn’t stand the oppression by the villagers, went to the Village Chief’s house.

After having experience living in persecution, his temperament has changed. He, who had always held his head high before, now hunched whenever he walked around. He was looking at the floor when he spoke and he even subconsciously lowered his voice when talking.

“Village Chief, the old lady of the Xuan family hadn’t been seen for many days …”

This once arrogant man mumbled something at the moment, and his voice was almost inaudible. “What happened to her? Why don’t you go to her house and check, Village Chief?”